VMware Cloud Community
pranags
Contributor
Contributor

snapshot for a VM having RDM disk

Hi,

Is it not possible to take the snapshot of a VM that has a RDM disk in physical mode? Tthe VM has other disks which are normal vmdk files.

I thought atleast it should take snapshot for non rdm disks.

But the take snapshot menu itself is dsiabled in the VI client.

Thanks,

Prasad.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The system disk is an RDM or a vmdk?

The snapshot should record all info about all disks so I think that even an rdm should block the operation.

But with RDM you can use SAN snapshots.

0 Kudos
mrblub
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo Prasad,

I had the same question and opened an SR.

VMware has scheduled to fix this in release 3.0.3 of ESX.

Arne

0 Kudos
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor

I hate this problem! It's stopping my backups working correctly on 2 file server and my RIS (Windows Deployment Services) server.

It's good to hear this will be fixed, I just don't expect 3.0.3 to be released anytime soon.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't believe you can take a snapshot of a RDM in physical mode, you can though if it is a virtual RDM.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
mrblub
Contributor
Contributor

Nice to see:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100208...

This Patch should fix the problem. I'll check this out asap.

0 Kudos
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor

Is this update also compatiable with ESX 3.0.2?

0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert

Good to have this finally, but I don't suppose it will allow snapshot of VM with RDM, that also has a shared SCSI controller (i.e. cluster across boxes) ?

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos
Halo2
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately it seems to be only possible when the machine has no shared scsi controller(s).

But why?

I've started a separate thread for this:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/110295

Alex

0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert

Yes this is a right pain in the butt. I wasn't expecting that update to fix this issue, but quietly was hoping. Then we could get our cluster system disks into an ESX Ranger schedule.

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos
Halo2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have the same problem with this, because I want to be able to (hot) backup the cluster system disks.. .

0 Kudos