VMware Cloud Community
fitzie22
Contributor
Contributor

slow response from remote sites

I have en esx server with 20 vm's in Maryland and the VC is in Boston. There is a 45mb pipe directly to it. The issue I am having is with the Maryland site. if I power on a vm and have it on the console it give this error

Error Connecting: VMX connection handshake failed for mks of /vmfs/volumes/89127893-as89d79a-d888-asdh8qau/server name.vmx.

Do you want to try again?

If I click yes it keeps coming back. The only way to have the console come up is wait about 2 min and then click ok and it works.

Now I know that it is most likely the network connectivity, but I find it hard to believe that huge corporations with sites around the world would use a virtual center server in each location. Let me know if there are any ideas on making this better

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VI clients are intended to manage all the VI environment and we must use them with care. Virtual machines are better accessed using Citrix or terminal services.

Do you have same problems with terminal services?

About your problem.

You must check the network about:

\- number of hops to reach the esx host

\- packet lost

\- other network errors

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert

Try to add the following line: vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy=TRUE to /etc/vmware/config file in the VMware ESX Service Console

This has worked well in our enviroment on remote sites. You don't even need to restart the VC or restart any services on the ESX to see if it works. Give it a shot.

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos