VMware Cloud Community
asanet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

set switch tag vlan

Hi,

I'am installing esx 5.1.

I have 3 vlan (prod, vmotion, vmkernel). I look that when on dcui (yellow screen) I put  vlan correct, I cannot ping esx host. If  Iremove vlan tag I can ping esx host.

I suspect that someone doesn't work on switch (not managed by me).

How I can help network team? Which set  on the port of switch network team must be set?

thanks

Jonh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

asanet wrote:

Hi,

I'am installing esx 5.1.

I have 3 vlan (prod, vmotion, vmkernel). I look that when on dcui (yellow screen) I put  vlan correct, I cannot ping esx host. If  Iremove vlan tag I can ping esx host.

How I can help network team? Which set  on the port of switch network team must be set?

thanks

Jonh

Your network team should create a "trunk" for the physical network ports used by ESXi. On this trunk they should allow these 3 VLANs mentioned above. Now I am assuming they did that but you "VMkernel" VLAN equals your regular management VLAN, which also happens to be the native VLAN.

So I am guessing there is nothing "wrong" with your setup, it is just an implementation detail... If the "management VLAN" also happens to be the native VLAN the side effect is that you do not need to specify a VLAN ID on the portgroup.

More details can be found here: VMware KB: Sample configuration of virtual switch VLAN tagging (VST Mode)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Your network team need to tag vlan on physical switch. Specially if you are using trunk.

So if you are able to ping your host without declare a vlan, it is because, on the physical switch no vlan taging is configure.

Regards,

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

asanet wrote:

Hi,

I'am installing esx 5.1.

thanks

Jonh

Your network team should create a "trunk" for the physical network ports used by ESXi. On this trunk they should allow these 3 VLANs mentioned above. Now I am assuming they did that but you "VMkernel" VLAN equals your regular management VLAN, which also happens to be the native VLAN.

So I am guessing there is nothing "wrong" with your setup, it is just an implementation detail... If the "management VLAN" also happens to be the native VLAN the side effect is that you do not need to specify a VLAN ID on the portgroup.

More details can be found here: VMware KB: Sample configuration of virtual switch VLAN tagging (VST Mode)

0 Kudos