VMware Cloud Community
TREBOR_bcn
Contributor
Contributor

serialization error!

Hi everybody!!

I run Virtual Infrastructure Server 2.0.1 build 40644.

I have a problem with one virtual machine. I cannot clone, when I try it I get the error "A general system error ocurred: Field to buffer serialization error" and don't give any more detail. It only happens with this virtual machine.

I need help

0 Kudos
20 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What kind of Guest OS?

Any particular device attached?

0 Kudos
TREBOR_bcn
Contributor
Contributor

guest os: windows 2003 server estandard edition + mcafee epolicy orchestrator

no particular hardware attached

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you trying to clone to template or deploy from template?

0 Kudos
TREBOR_bcn
Contributor
Contributor

i'm trying to clone the virtual machine, the option explicit is "clone this virutal machine" not to a template, clone virtual machine to another virtual machine

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
TREBOR_bcn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The vm has attached two nic's but in diferents networks, i delete one nic and clone with the same error. The autocheck key value in the registry it is by default in windows.

The Vc server did not install with sysprep.

"A general system error ocurrred: Field to buffer serialization error"

0 Kudos
tomaddox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same problem with one particular VM when I try to cold migrate it to another datastore. I have been able to work around the problem by copying the VM files via the service console, but it would be nice to be able to migrate the VM directly.

0 Kudos
bvlente
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same error but not with cloning. When I migrate a virtual machine from 1 datastore to another the error appears.

There is 1 nic attached to the virtual machine.

Can anyone help me please?

0 Kudos
tomaddox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think can safely be classified as a bug in ESX Server. I haven't seen any solution posted, although you might try opening a ticket with VMWare Support. The only workaround I came up with was to shut down the VM, copy the VM directory from one datastore to another via the service console, and then delete and reregister the VM.

0 Kudos
Hayco
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with a server. I wanted to move the server to a different LUN. The cause was the virtual Floppy drive setting. The floppy was connected to a client device. I changed it to host device (/dev/fd0). That solved the problem.

0 Kudos
bvlente
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware support sends me the following solution:

Can you change into the directory of each of the Virtual machines, ensuring that you are in the directory which contains the .vmx file.

Then run the following command at the command line. rm -f vmware-*.log

This will erase all the log files for the VM, except for the most important vmware.log file.

Then try to run the cold migrate again.

This works for me.

0 Kudos
Peter_Berger
Contributor
Contributor

I ran across this error tonight and the suggestion to delete the log files (rm -f vmware-*.log) worked fine for me. I had to power on/off the VM after deleting the logs, but it worked. thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
senfinger
Contributor
Contributor

An Update... Re-Install VM-Tools or Install VM-Tools on the VM having the issues. (Should fix it; as it did ours)

Thanks-

Stephen

0 Kudos
louie2637
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me Smiley Happy

• power off the VM

• via putty go into the directory of the Virtual machine

• run the following command at the command line rm -f vmware-*.log (this will erase all the log files for the VM, except for the most important vmware.log file)

• then power on/off the VM after deleting the logs

• now you will be able to relocate the datastore

Message was edited by: louie2637

0 Kudos
IBMmad0865
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, worked for me as well.

0 Kudos
rjf841
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me as well. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
va9155
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks - removing the log files and power cycle the machine worked!

0 Kudos
lahrus
Contributor
Contributor

After viewing the amount of logs that had accumulated in the associated VM directory, It makes it somewhat clearer why the VMotion choked. Just a simple reminder, to keep up with VMware Farm maintenance. Kudos to Peter and Senfinger. The initial removal of the log files in addition to the VM Server reboot worked for my situation as well. Great Tips.

LAHRUS

0 Kudos