VMware Cloud Community
VCPMa
Contributor
Contributor

reset User Permission on VCenter 2.5 U4

Hello @all,

today i have take a big misstake, i have add the Group Users to my VC Host Cluster Permissions with Read-Onl.

Now, i dont know why im not able to do some task with my administrator account on all steps the message comes "you have not the permission to do the task".

Can somebody help me to reset the permission to factory default´s ????

At the moment to do some tasks i must connect directly to the ESX Server with the root account.

Regards

VCPMa

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NWhiley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The domain admins or the local admins of the VIC server should have admin rights. Are you a member of either of those groups?

Neil VCP
0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert

you could try the following, open the VI client on your VCenter server, connect to localhost and use the local administrator account, you should be able to change the permissions.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
VCPMa
Contributor
Contributor

i was locked in with the local Administrator and domain Administrator with the same result.

The Administrators are also Administrator inside VCenter Permissions.

regards

VCPMa

0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert

You could try modify the permissions via the VC database, however I would suggest that if your environment is not very large to reinstall the VC server

0 Kudos
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can reset the permissions from the vCenter database.

If you go to the vpx_access table, you will see the permissions that are created. Find that one that was mistakenly set to read only, and the Role value will probably be a -2 (if i remember correctly). If you set this to -1 it will grant the object administrative permissions. Once htis is done restart the vCenter service and you will be able to remove the permissions accordingly.

Of course this is technically a gray solution, so make sure you have a backup of the database before editing it directly.

Cheers,

/Jonathan

0 Kudos
VCPMa
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for help.

i have delete the user account from the vpx_access table and reboot the system.

all works fine

thanks

VCPMa

0 Kudos