VMware Cloud Community
sfonten
Contributor
Contributor

rescan san

when i rescan my san the new lun doesnt appear. i have to go to add storage and select disk/lun and it appears there. has anyone else seen this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you refresh (from Storage SCSI) or did you rescan (FRom storage adapters)?

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you rescan the SAN. Where are you looking for your new LUN ?

You mention it appears in the list of LUNs that are a candidate for a new VMFS. That means that the LUN is empty. An empty LUN won't show in the datastore list (Configuration-Storage), but all paths will show in the vmhba details (Configuration-Storage Adapters).

0 Kudos
sfonten
Contributor
Contributor

i thought if you had an empty lun and everything in the fiber switch and storage side are setup correct, when you go to stoage adapter and hit rescan san the empty lun should show up?they way i have to see the lun is go to storage, add storage, disk/lun select next and then i see the lun there. can you just not hit storage adapters and rescan and the new lun should be there?

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The way it should work is that you can rescan your HBA and the new LUN should appear. Is this a blank volume or an existing VMFS volume? If you can reboot the host, does the console show any error messages accessing the volume? Sometimes I have to set the LVM.DisallowSnapshotLun property to 0 to get new ESX servers to access existing VMFS volumes.

0 Kudos
sfonten
Contributor
Contributor

it is blank. yes i did reboot with no luck. i had to LVM.DisallowSnapshotLun property to 0 just so i could see it through storage add storage.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How many LUNS still showed?

Do you have a SAN, iSCSI or what?

0 Kudos
sfonten
Contributor
Contributor

fiber attached

i can add the storage by going to storage add storage. just curious why when i scan the san it doesnt show up and i have to add it through storage tab

0 Kudos
zbenga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i found it will only do it the way you want to if the lun is formated with some data on it, it it's not it will show your paths to it (i use 2 HBA's per server) and the luns available on it, size etc. but it will NOT automagically add it to Storage

if the LUN has data on it and i do a rescan it adds it automagically

so if the lun is not vmfs it won't add it

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It' normal behaviour.

The LUNs a re presented under Configuration -> Storage adapters.

when you add storage with the first HOST you are formatting the LUN with VMFS.

After this operation any other ESX HOST can see the LUNs doing a Rescan.

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A little late to the party here, but just thought I'd throw in my $0.02. As masaki stated, the first time you add a blank volume to a host, the host will format it. Storage will only be immediately recognized as a VMFS volume if it is already formatted with the VMFS file system Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ocheeslice
Contributor
Contributor

We are having a similar problem. We create Volumes on our PS6500. Add the iSCSI initiators for the three ESX hosts. Go into vm client --> Storage Adapters --> Rescan for all three hosts. The new volumes never show up in the adapter list. We delete the volumes from the array and then get iSCSI initiator errors because the ESX hosts think it is there on the array. It gets trapped in memory or something. We have to reboot the hosts to clear out these iSCSI initiators from these deleted volumes. We created a test volume of 100mb and that shows up when we rescan it but when we try to add it to the datastore we get this error: Error during the configuration of the host: Failed to update disk partition information.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos