VMware Cloud Community
dbeermat
Contributor
Contributor

removing vmfs datastores

hi

I have come across two questions regarding removing vmfs datastores and would like to query the answers

12. When you delete a VMFS datastore, it is destroyed and disappears from:

A. all hosts in the same DRS/HA cluster

B. the storage device containing the datastore

C. only the host that you have deleted it from

D. all hosts with connectivity to the datastore

Answer D.

14. When you delete a VMFS datastore from an ESX Host, which of the following occurs?

A. all hosts that were configured to use the datastore will no longer see the datastore and it is deleted

from the storage device

B. all hosts that were configured to use the datastore will no longer see the datastore, but it will remain on

the storage device and can be remounted as needed

C. the datastore will no longer be available to the host that it was deleted from, but all other hosts that

were configured to use the datastore will remain connected

D. only hosts in the same DRS/HA cluster no longer see the datastore, but it will remain on the storage

device and can be remounted as needed

Answer: A

for question 12, is not ans b correct also. i presume they refer to removing a vmfs datastore form the datastore inventory and in question 14, they are deleting it from the storage views in the configuration pane in the esxi host, am i correct in these two assumptions?

Either way the same goal is achieved,or i am missing something here?

Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

They are both the same question written slightly differently.

The answer is actually:

Q12: D

Q14: B - Kind of. If you delete the VMFS volume then all data on the drive would also be deleted. So you would have to format again as VMFS for the hosts to see it.

The LUN is still presented and it's configuration on the storage device doesn't change. If you went back into storage views you could provision it again as a VMFS without having to do anything on the storage device.

For the purposes of the Exam that you are studying to pass I would ignore the following two points.

1) If your storage admin removes the LUN before you delete the VMFS datastore, then Q12 C would be correct. But that is not what the question is asking.

2) If you have the storage API's implemented then you can actually provision and delete LUNS from within vCenter.

0 Kudos