VMware Cloud Community
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

removing snapshots from VMs

I know that I can remove snapshots from VMs by using the Snapshot manager but I also know that I can do it using the command line, vmware-cmd.

I often worndered.   If I use the command vmware-cmd, does this command remove snapshots faster?  Is it a safer way to remove snapshots?   Does the VM have to be in a powered down state to use this command?

Also, how many concurrent snapshot removals can I do at one time? Is it better to do them one at a time or can I perform 2 simulaneous snapshot removals , if they are on different VMs?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I wouldn't say command line is any faster, it's just whether you like working in a GUI or in a command line interface. The "safest" way to remove the snapshopts, IMHO, would be via the GUI as you can be 100% sure on which item your selecting to delete. You can do concurrent snapshots removal but remember that removing a snapshot is intensive and can take a bit of time depending on the size of the VM.

aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks very much.  appreciate the info

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Going to the GUI and pressing the delete button (commit all changes) is the best option. Do not worry if it get stucked at 95% and timed out, it is actually committing at the back if the snapshot is very large.

also if you prefer auto commit it can be done via powershell. http://virtualfuture.info/2008/07/remove-snapshots-script/