VMware Cloud Community
vbussiro
Contributor
Contributor

remove disconnected host

This host can't be reconnected anymore. Tried the remove action but il fails : "unable to contact the specified host" Of course if it's disconnected...

So ?

VC 2.5 buid 104215

0 Kudos
13 Replies
IB_IT
Expert
Expert

Anything happen since this occured? Was this working before? Is your service console connection still online? Need a little more info...

0 Kudos
vbussiro
Contributor
Contributor

the server is definitevely down, and now reinstalled as a classic windows server. So the the host can't be reconnected to the VC, and i'd like to remove it now. I know i should have done this when it was online, but where's the fun...

0 Kudos
IB_IT
Expert
Expert

in that case you should be able to just remove from inventory to get it out of the VC inventory.

0 Kudos
vbussiro
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately, i get this error "unable to contact the specified host (...)". Not very helpful thus...

0 Kudos
IB_IT
Expert
Expert

As far as I know a "remove from inventory" operation should not attempt to contact the host...it should simply remove the entry in VC. If you are still getting this error after choosing "remove from inventory", then something else is going on.

0 Kudos
mdri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My two cents-- have you tried restarting the Virtual Center service or

the entire server? I've had to do that a few times to resolve quirks

in the inventory.

0 Kudos
vbussiro
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to restart entire virtual center, with no more chance.

The option "remove from inventory" is only available on the (unique) virtual machine contained in this host, on which i only have choice to "connect" or "remove". Any option won't succeed. I was looking for a command line or direct VC database edit since normal way doesn't work

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Can you *Edit Settings *for the VM that was on this dissconnected host? I had a similar issue, the VM on the dissconnected host had the CDROM connected to a .ISO to a datastore that was connected to the now non-existent host... Confused? See if there is anything in the VM that still refrences the dissconnected ESX host, if so remove it then you should be able to remove the VM thus "unlocking" the host enabling you to remove it from inventory.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
vbussiro
Contributor
Contributor

"Edit settings" isn't available... Nice try : )

However This is a non blocking issue, rest is working fine.

0 Kudos
vbussiro
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone please ?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using SQL as your DB? If so, shutdown your VCMS service, open sql enterprise manager, and look in the vpx_hosts table to see if you can see that host

0 Kudos
damiankarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got the same issue with a disconnected host that is no longer a viable machine. Troy -- yes, that server is in VPX_HOSTS. Does anyone know the proper way to remove the host from the database?

Twitter: @sixfootdad Blog: damiankarlson.com Podcast: professionalvmware.com/brownbags
0 Kudos
felix107
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone figure out how to remove the disconneced host. I still get the same error.

Thanks

0 Kudos