VMware Cloud Community
mgiurgeu
Contributor
Contributor

rebuilding vCSA 7.0

I have a bizarre situation, partly of my own making.

I have a 3 node cluster + vCSA (using Essentials Plus license), all on version 7.

During the latest update for vCSA I ran into a problem where the process would loop endlessly. I followed a wrong advice I found on another forum to delete two files from the appliance and now I cannot login on the administrative side of the vCenter (port 5480). I can still administer ESXi (through port 443 on vCSA). To my horror, I discovered that the external NAS drive that I was backing the appliance to has failed, so I don't have a backup for the vCSA.

I am left with rebuilding the vCenter as my only option.

Considering that the old vCenter is still functioning and that I can still access the cluster and all the resources, what is the best way going forward? Should I remove all the hosts, storage, cluster, etc from the old vCenter before firing up the new one? I've never had to do anything like this before.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. do you have any recent snapshots of the VCSA VM?

2. Any VAMI (File based) backup 

3. You can reinstall VCSA https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2144536

If you have DVS, VSAN, NSX etc in your environment i suggest not to rebuild VCSA. Since its essentials license, I assume its a small environment so you can rebuild it. 

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos