VMware Cloud Community
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"perf charts service experienced an internal error" is back...again.

When I upgraded to vCenter 4.0, I had the common problem of "perf charts service experienced an internal error". I ended up changing an XML file to get this fixed. Then when I upgraded to U1, it broke again. I found out that VMware changed the location of this file (statsreport.xml it is now in the "Catalina" directory"). So I made the change again and all was good.

Now this morning, I upgraded to vCenter 4.1 and sure enough I am getting the "perf charts service experienced an internal error" message once again. I went and looked at the statsreport.xml and it looks much difference than the original 4.0 U1 version. It seems much smaller with a lot of information missing from it. I added my changes to in just in case, but that did not work.

Does anyone know if there is now a new method for fixing this problem? I reviewed the original KB article and it pretty much mentions the same information as before (catalina directory, and the statsreport.xml file). Perhaps there is a new KB I should be looking at for version 4.1?

Thanks

SB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gregbl333
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue.

Bump.

ESX 4.1

VCenter 4.1.0 Build 258902

Running on 64 bit Window 2008 standard.

Sql 2008 local on the machine.

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The file C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs\stats.log should contain error messages relevant to this.

We had the same issue with vCenter Server 4.1 and found the following frequently repeated error message in stats.log:

2010-09-30 18:25:58,420 pool-1-thread-1 ERROR com.vmware.vim.common.vdb.VdbODBCConfig Unable to get a connection to: jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\SQLVC;databaseName=VIM_VCDB;integratedSecurity=true as username= due to: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: The TDS protocol stream is not valid.

In our case this turned out to be a problem with the version of the Microsoft JDBC driver installed by the vCenter Server installer being incompatible with our database SQL 2008 R2 Standard. Caveat: VMware doesn't officially support this version of SQL Server yet. Our database is running locally on on our vCenter Server which is a VM running the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system.

The vCenter Server installer uses JDBC 1.0 version 1.2.2828.100, which is designed for compatibility with SQL 2005. JDBC 2.0 adds compatibility for SQL 2008, and JDBC 3.0, which is the latest available from Microsoft, adds compatibility for SQL 2008 R2. Supposedly all of these are backward compatible. I downloaded JDBC 3.0 version 3.0.1301.101 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a737000d-68d0-4531-b65d-da0f2a735707 for testing.

After stopping the vCenter services, I copied the downloaded version of sqljdbc_auth.dll for x64 to C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\bin and the downloaded version of sqljdbc.jar to C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\lib. After restarting the services, I got the error: "java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.6 is not supported by this driver. Use the sqljdbc4.jar class library, which provides support for JDBC 4.0." It turns out that the JDBC 3.0 download also provides a file named sqljdbc4.jar. I copied that to C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\lib alongside sqljdbc.jar. Still the same error, but then I deleted sqljdbc.jar and renamed sqljdbc4.jar to sqljdbc.jar, and finally the Performance Overview started working properly.

To complete my testing I decided to try JDBC 2.0 version 2.0.1803.100 also downloaded from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=99b21b65-e98f-4a61-b811-19912601fdc9. Again I renamed the downloaded sqljdbc4.jar to sqljdbc.jar to avoid the error above. This earlier version, although not officially supporting SQL 2008 R2, does appear to work properly with the Performance Overview in vCenter 4.1.

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for taking the time to write this up, however this appears to be for SQL server, and I am running Oracle.

On a side note, after a month of working with VMware on this issue, they finally came back and stated the version of Oracle we are running is not supported. This was news to me - I could have sworn 10.2.0.4 was supported. Whether or not that was causing the problem, VMware is not going to help so I have just given up and resolved myself to not use that feature.

When VMware releases the next update to vCenter, we are going to move to SQL server. So that should eventually fix the problem.

thanks

SB

0 Kudos
gcarloshp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, jaspain

Extremely helpful post for me, with Vcenter 4.0 u2 and unable to open performance overview chart.

I got JDBC 2.0. No need to rename sqljdbc.jar

Thanks & regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos