Contributor
Contributor

"Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates" in VCSA 7.0

Issue:

"Unexpected error occurred while fetching the updates" in VCSA 7.0

Resolution:

SSH into VCSA 7.0 and run the below command:

rm /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf

After removing the file, VCSA patched successfully.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
h20engineer
Contributor
Contributor

This did not work for me, issues continues....

0 Kudos
Robinson225
Contributor
Contributor

I have also same issue any suggestion for this so please reply. Thanks in advance.

official website

0 Kudos
vhdhbb
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work for me as well, Should be a solution somewhere 🙂

0 Kudos
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just ran into an issue where I got an error while staging the updates.  It may not be the same thing, but in addition to removing the update state file, I ran the command 'software-packages unstage'. 

At that point, I was able to re-stage the updates and suspect there was some kind of hiccup or corruption during a previous attempt.

0 Kudos
h20engineer
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: Hi everyone, the response I got from VMware support is shown below (name ****) omitted out of respect for tech.

==================================================

"My name is ***** from the IUM break-fix team and I am assuming ownership of Support Request  #########

Please use the VAMI page(https://vcenter-ip:5480) to check for new vcenter patch updates, The issue with update planner is known to vmware and we are working on a fix for it.

Thanks and regards,
--
Technical Support Engineer
Global Support Services, VMware Inc."

===================================================

So for now, this is the workaround..... I guess I'll just wait for VMware to fix this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
herywaltor
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for sharing the resolution to the issue. Deleting the software_update_state.conf file can indeed help resolve update-related problems on VCSA 7.0. This file may contain information about the update status, and sometimes it can become corrupted or misconfigured, causing update failures. By removing it, you essentially reset the update state, and the appliance can attempt the update process again.

However, it's essential to perform this action with caution and ensure that you have appropriate backups and understand the potential implications, as making changes to system files can affect the stability and security of your VCSA.

It's always a good practice to consult VMware documentation and support resources before taking such actions, and it's great to see that this solution worked for your specific situation. Thanks for sharing it with the community

0 Kudos