VMware Cloud Community
KitV
Contributor
Contributor

"Loading main form" slooooowwwww

When I launch VC 2.5 either remotely or on the VC server itself, it takes a couple of minutes to load the inventory. It sits on the "Loading main form" window. The previous version was much faster. How do I speed it up?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Inecsys_Network
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

we have same problem here, using sql server as database, do you also use sql ?

0 Kudos
Volkov27
Contributor
Contributor

is Your database a sql 2005? if it's corrects, please use sql native client only with vc 2.5, is more fast.

0 Kudos
Inecsys_Network
Contributor
Contributor

well, not in my case, we use sql 2000 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Volkov27
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have virtual center server in the same server where you have intalled the sql server 2000? do you work with Gigabit connection?

0 Kudos
Inecsys_Network
Contributor
Contributor

No, the VCenter server is on a machine and the SQL is on another one. Both have a teamed 100Mbps connection to the network.

0 Kudos
Volkov27
Contributor
Contributor

I think your problem is a lan performance issue, because connectivity between Vc Client and Vc Server is slow, please test with Gigabit, is your DDBB very large?

0 Kudos
Volkov27
Contributor
Contributor

first test to connect sql server 2000 and VC server with Gigabit, is a dedicated sql server for Virtual Center? Do you have installed mdac 2.8?

0 Kudos
Inecsys_Network
Contributor
Contributor

well, we are rather short on Gigabit ports just now 😐

I'm not in the office right now, so can't tell the DB size...

0 Kudos
Volkov27
Contributor
Contributor

You have another solution for performance, translate the sql Server 2000 into the server hosted the virtual center, because the sql server protocol change tcp/ip to LPC (localhost connection).

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to let everyone else know, I am having the same problem with slow loading of VC. Remotely it is impossiblely slow, in fact I don't even try anymore. I remote into the VC server itself and open locally. At least I can get it up. Tried opening a vm console that way, remotely, and couldn't. Bogged down so bad I gave up.

With version 2.0.2 I had none of these problems. I have other problems with 3.5 that are not VC problems, at least I don't think they are. Can't Vmotion a hot vm from 3.0.2 to 3.5. Can cold migrate OK.

0 Kudos
KitV
Contributor
Contributor

This appears to only happen when I launch the VC client on a Windows 2003 Server box. I just installed it on Vista and the interface loads quickly.

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wanted to post again with some preliminary observations. Yesterday after I had finished a long night etc. with an upgrade to 3.5. I disabled the Update Manager and Converter from my laptop client, which I use regularly. I was still at the office when I did this so I didn't notice much difference. I went home and before I crashed I started up that client over VPN(remember I had said the client was unusable then). It started up as fast as when I was at the office, and I could actually use it. Now this was only a quick test and I haven't had a chance to test again yet. I will this weekend. I have two clients I regularly use. One is on my laptop, which is XP, fully updated. The other is on the VC server itself, which is 2003 R2, and is a vm.

I was unable to use either from home over VPN. They just bogged to the point of unusable, and I gave up. Last night was different. Now, the changes that I made. I now have all four of my ESX hosts upgraded to 3.5, I disabled Update Manager and Converter plugins on my laptop.

I will be testing this weekend my laptop client which has no plugins enabled, and my VC server client which has plugins enabled. I will VPN into my office network as usual. I will remote desktop to the VC server as usual. These all worked great with 2.0.2 and 3.0.2 from home, using VPN. After this weekend I will post again.

0 Kudos
NorbK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We've noticed the slowdown when upgrading to 3.5/2.5 as well with the client. Much slower than in previous versions. We have SQL and VC on the same server running SQL2000. I don't think you have a network problem. Its just issues with the new client and slowness with itself and plugins.

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey folks, just an update, I have tested the 2.5 client on my laptop and the 2.5 client on my VC server via VPN from home and both worked great. Slightly slower than 2.0.2 but much, much better than last week. The only difference is ALL my hosts are now 3.5. My laptop client does not have Update Manager and Converter plugins enabled. The client on the VC server(which is using SQL Express) DOES have Update Manager and Converter plugins enabled. Last week when I had a mix of 3.0.2 and 3.5 hosts this client was totally unusable via VPN/Remote Desktop from home. I still need to test both from home during the weekdays but it looks promising.

You folks that are experiencing slowness with the 2.5 cllient, do you have mixed host software versions? Just curious.

0 Kudos
KitV
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. We are mixed but should be completely 3.5 by this afternoon. I hope that fixes it.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm.. try installing QoS on that machine and see if it works better.

I discovered that installing Quality of Service makes things a lot faster, at least in our case. Then check the obvious, like negotiation is set to Automatic, and it's not set at half duplex, and flow control should be hardware or automatic also.

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey RParker,

Thanks for adding to the discussion. I recognize your name from other posts. I do have Qos installed on the laptop. I just installed it on the VC, which is a vm. We'll see what difference this makes.

0 Kudos
Paul_Brannon
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running VC 2.5 using SQL 2005 on a Windows 2003 server and I have a slow main form too. Upon removal and reinstallation of Virtual Center and the optional plug-ins the main form load was "snappy". After downloading and enabling the Update Manager and Converter plugins, the main form load became "sluggish". Disabling the plugins in VC and the client services in Windows did not speed it back up.

I tested this on the Windows server. I haven't tried it with a Virtual Infrastructure client on another computer.

At least it all seems to work once it does finally load.

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey folks,

Paul's reply prompted me to update this discussion. As I previously stated I noticed a marked difference in the VC client once I had updated all four of my ESX hosts to 3.5 from 3.0.2. I have now tested both the VC client on my laptop from home using VPN and remote desktop connection via VPN from home to the VC vm itself and both work well. Thus, I can only conclude that my particular problems with sluggishness to outright inoperablilty of the VC client before was due to the mixed ESX host environment. My two cents for what it may be worth.

0 Kudos