VMware Cloud Community
RobAtHomeNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service."

Though I doubt it's related, after dealing with the problems in this issue - and getting it running fine the the rest of the day, I came into the office to another issue! Maybe it's related but I don't know....

Like I said, after doing the migration, things seemed fine for the rest of the day. This morning, I can't even get into the server via vSphere. For some reason, the service was not running and I can't seem to start it again. Below is my error in Windows Event Viewer...

Log Name: Application

Source: VMware VirtualCenter Server

Date: 2010-09-28 08:15:10

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: VCENTER1.HOMENET.local

Description:

The description for Event ID 1000 from source VMware VirtualCenter Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) "ODBC error: (42000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]The transaction log for database 'VIM_VCDB' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases" is returned when executing SQL statement "UPDATE VPX_DATASTORE WITH (ROWLOCK) SET NAME = ? , STORAGE_URL = ? , CAPACITY = ? , FREE_SPACE = ? , TYPE = ? , DATACENTER_ID = ? , IORM_ENABLED = ? , IORM_CONGESTION_THRESHOLD = ? WHERE ID = ?"

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="VMware VirtualCenter Server" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-09-28T12:15:10.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>3048</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>VCENTER1.HOMENET.local</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) "ODBC error: (42000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]The transaction log for database 'VIM_VCDB' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases" is returned when executing SQL statement "UPDATE VPX_DATASTORE WITH (ROWLOCK) SET NAME = ? , STORAGE_URL = ? , CAPACITY = ? , FREE_SPACE = ? , TYPE = ? , DATACENTER_ID = ? , IORM_ENABLED = ? , IORM_CONGESTION_THRESHOLD = ? WHERE ID = ?"</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this is your on your VCDB (Virtual Center Database). Talk to your DBA and have him look at the transaction logs for the DB instance in question.

I would also suggest going from full recovery to simple

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Any ideas?

yes, you will find your answer in the logs. I've snipped it out, just in case

The transaction log for database 'VIM_VCDB' is full.

RobAtHomeNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I saw that but was unsure where the log was. I figured it was one of those things that could be viewed from vSphere but then figured that would be a bad design for times like these. So, where is it?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this is your on your VCDB (Virtual Center Database). Talk to your DBA and have him look at the transaction logs for the DB instance in question.

I would also suggest going from full recovery to simple

0 Kudos
RobAtHomeNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, I followed the KB article and it seems fine now. I'll have my DBA take a look at the DB in the meantime. Thanks for the help! This project has been quite the PIA!

0 Kudos
RobAtHomeNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I also found an error (see screen-shot) in vCenter, once I was able to get into it. Do you think it's related?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

could be, once you get your space issue cleared up, check the SQL Jobs and ensure all rollup jobs for your vCenter DB are running. Also, they won't run if the SQL agent isn't on.