VMware Cloud Community
drheim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"A specified parameter was not correct" when trying to add VMs back into Virtual Center 2 from alternate storage location

Hi guys,

We are wanting to setup a disaster recovery plan for a SAN failure and what we did is buy local disk for our ESX hosts and format them with vmfs and this works fine and we can build and run machines fine from the local disks. So the thinking is that if the SAN crashes we can can restore the VMs straight from tape onto the local drives of the ESX hosts and then manually add them back to inventory. It gets complicated because we do not want to use vmware consolidated backup because if our SAN did crash our proxy server will not have enough disk space to stage all the restores. So the plan is to manually backup the few super critical VMs to local disks on the hosts every night and then in the event of SAN failure we should be able to quickly add them back to inventory. To do all of this we planned on using Alex Mittell's scripted backup utility for vmware hosts which works great.

The problem is that when we restore a VM to an alternate location on vmware(from SAN originally to local disk) we need to add it back into inventory manually. To do this I am just browseing to the ESX hosts in virtual center and browsing through the storage on the local disk and I can see the restored vmx file and right click on it and tell it to add to inventory. The problem is I always get an error "A specified parameter was not correct" I figured that the locations in the vmx file are probably not correct so I manually edited it and still have an error.

Does anyone have any good ideas on this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've seen this before. You can't register or add new VMs to a DRS cluster if they reside on storage that isn't visible to all hosts in the cluster. It's VirtualCenter's very bad way of letting you know the VM won't be able to participate in DRS migrations.

The solution: Connect your VI Client directly to the host. You should be able to accomplish what you wish.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It may be a reference to a snapshot or an ISO image that is mapped to the virtual CD-ROM. Can you post the contents of the VMX file?

0 Kudos
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've seen this before. You can't register or add new VMs to a DRS cluster if they reside on storage that isn't visible to all hosts in the cluster. It's VirtualCenter's very bad way of letting you know the VM won't be able to participate in DRS migrations.

The solution: Connect your VI Client directly to the host. You should be able to accomplish what you wish.

0 Kudos