VMware Cloud Community
arkadiy
Contributor
Contributor

question about using templates and Windows customization

<span class="408443202-24042009"><span class="408443202-24042009">This maybe a bit of a Microsoft question, but i would appreciate your help if you happen to have any ideas.

So I am trying to deploy VMs from templates using Windows sysprep / OS Customization wizard. Every time i bootup a new VM, sysprep does its thing, reboots VM again and then i am forced to start windows activation. It says smth like "problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking status of license for this computer". However if i deploy VM from template without using sysprep/OS Customization, that does not happen. Not sure if it will happen later, but i made template from already activated copy of windows. So question - is there any way to continue using sysprep/OS Customization Wizard without having to call MS to activate every time?

Your quick help is very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

If it is unattended.txt file as answer file, you can edit the following settings:

In the Unattended section, type: AutoActivate = No

Under the UserData section, type: ProductID = yourProductID

Refer this as well:

Shan

If you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons...Thanks

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
arkadiy
Contributor
Contributor

And where does unattendex.txt sit?

Thanks

Arkadiy

0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

Sorry for the confusion, VMWare Templates use the "Sysprep.inf" file NOT unattended.txt. I think, WPA is not possible thru sysprep unless you have VLK (Volume License Key). VLK helps to deploy large amount of XP deployment.

Please go thru this MS technote:

However, path is

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\XP

Shan

If you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons...Thanks

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos