VMware Cloud Community
johnnyknoxville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

problem with installation vCenter 5

Hi,

i am having problem with vCenter 5 installation. It is clean windows 2008 R2 server and installation goes ok, but at the end i get this message

interrupted.jpg

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

You´re using administrator or user with adminsitrator privileges ? Try with right click (Run as Administrator).

Only for sure, this machine don´t run Domain Controller, ok ?

Good Luck

Check too all requeriments to install vcenter5 http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi i found follow KB - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200880...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
johnnyknoxville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mauro, thank you for your message.

i run installation as domain admin and this server is not DC. I already found that KB but when I install SQL management studio and try to connect to local server i get error you do not have installed sql on this server or similar to that... it looks like SQL installation did not finish even in installed programs and services i can see SQL 2008?!

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you can check if service its ok Start > Run > Services.msc

may is very interessant remove SQL if installed and virtual center, reboot and retry do this installation.

0 Kudos
johnnyknoxville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i try to reinstall but same stuff again...

SQL service is up and running, vcenter service is down and could not start it... error check is vcenter server installed on this computer...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

try the below article.  It is consistent with some of the errors you are seeing in your logs

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2007231

johnnyknoxville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can not open vcenter database

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

johnnyknoxville wrote:

I can not open vcenter database

can you elaborate?  You'll need to use SQL Management Studio to connect to your DB.  Do you have DBA's at your facility that can help?

0 Kudos
johnnyknoxville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have Management Studio installed but when i try to connect to local SQL server, it looks like sql server did not finish installation correctly?!

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

is the SQL instance the bundled version with vCenter 5, or a full install.  Looks to me, that you have something going on with your SQL Server.  If this is a bundled SQL Instance and a fresh install, you may try starting over again.  Are you running your vCenter as a VM?

0 Kudos
johnnyknoxville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it is VM, win server 2008 R2 Enterprise, and it is bundled version of SQL that came with vCenter 5.

i have snapshot of clean machine and try installation few times with differnet user (local admin, domain admin), also try repair installation but every time the same.

installation goes fine, without any warning, error, it install sql server, .NET framwork, etc, registering product, installing inventory service, configures inventory service, etc and when installation is at the end it just pop up this message that i posted in first post.

i will now try to install first SQL 2008 Express R2 and create some empty database and then try to start installation of vcenter and point it to that database...

this should be trivial job with clean windows and new machine but not for me, at least not today  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
johnnyknoxville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it looks like there was problem with this VM Windows 2008 R2?! I create new machine with WIndows 2008 server and installation goes smootly, like it should go...

0 Kudos