VMware Cloud Community
mdamda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

port group

Hi everyone,

i am new to vmware ,I have a standard switch and ,

i need to add a vlan. I have  4 esxi hosts in a cluster.

I have logged in to vsphere client. on one of the host(say host1)  i clicked configuration - Networking - add networking - connection type virtual machine- vswitch1(which is my standard switch)-

Under port group properties, i have given VLANID-90.

Is it finished or do i need to make any more change.

But under host 2, 3 and 4 i dont see this vlan.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi

I'm trying to understand: You attempt to configure virtual machine portgroup from host1 and see new portgroup from host 2-3-4?

Adding a vlan in virtual switch means add a virtual machine portgroup, and these steps must be done to achieve it:

1. Add vlan in physical switch (and trunk ports which are connected to host)

2.1 If you have a Distributed vSwitch, simply add a Distributed portgroup with correct vlan id (the configuration is spanned to host which are connected to this virtual switch)

2.2 If you have a Standard switch you have to create a std port group in vSwitch for every host which should be connected (this is your case)

2.3 If you have a standard switch and you want to complete this in a single "action" you should use a powershell script

Hope this could be useful...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi

I'm trying to understand: You attempt to configure virtual machine portgroup from host1 and see new portgroup from host 2-3-4?

Adding a vlan in virtual switch means add a virtual machine portgroup, and these steps must be done to achieve it:

1. Add vlan in physical switch (and trunk ports which are connected to host)

2.1 If you have a Distributed vSwitch, simply add a Distributed portgroup with correct vlan id (the configuration is spanned to host which are connected to this virtual switch)

2.2 If you have a Standard switch you have to create a std port group in vSwitch for every host which should be connected (this is your case)

2.3 If you have a standard switch and you want to complete this in a single "action" you should use a powershell script

Hope this could be useful...

0 Kudos
mdamda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This means i should also create the same port group on my other 3 esxi hosts with same name.

The steps done on First esxi host should be repeated on other 3 esxi hosts. Is it right

0 Kudos
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes... be sure that vlan was correctly configured on physical switch (switchport in trunk mode and tag id 90 passed through all physical switches that are connected these hosts).

mdamda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks alot

0 Kudos