VMware Cloud Community
beckham007fifa

plan for ESX 4.0 to ESX 4.1 migration

Hi Guys,

I am going to upgrade vcenter 4.0 to vcenter 4.1. currently i am having oracle 10.2.0.1 32bit in my environment. and this oracle version is not supported with vmware esx 4.1. Therefore , i have to upgrade db first and then move on with vcenter. I am thinking of upgrading my db to 11g 32 bit enterprise which is supported by vmware esx 4.1.

My question is if I would go with 32bit db as VUM needs 32 bit dsn and currently i dont have any seperate db for vum. we have both together in 10.2.0.1 32 bit db. Is there will be any problem with 64bit versions, i mean will vmware newer version if comes would support only 64bit version in furture. Also, if i would go again with 32bit will there any performance issue? please suggest me..thanks in advance.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The 32-bit DSN does not apply to the db itself.  You can have a 32-bit DSN connecting to a 64-bit server.  The VUM client needed to talk 32, because it was running in a 32-bit context.

As far as performance goes, you won't see much difference.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

Thanks...anyother answer please.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

Also, is there iso for 4.1 comes with upgrade 1? or will it come with package which we have to install like patches?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

U1 is included in the lastest downloadable iso in the download section.

For the db question, it doesn't really matter if you choose 32 or 64 bit at the moment. I chose 64 bit in my latest installs because I don't see any downsides and I'm safe for the future.

As mentioned you can create a 64 bit DSN for vCenter and a 32 bit DSN for VUM to the same 64 bit database.

Regards

0 Kudos