VMware Cloud Community
kenger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

physical network adapter

Hey everyone..

Is it true, that some applications, cannot run on a virtual machine (vmware/esx) because the application needs to be attatched to a physical network adapter?

A consultent told me that our firewall logger should run on a physical machine, because it binds to a physical network adapter. He believed that if our ESX moved the virtual machine to another ESX (VI) then we could have some issues.. But I really don't see any problems, the MAC address comes with the VM config file, right? Smiley Happy

Have anyone of you had any issues with anything that could not run on a ESX platform?

/kenger

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have never seen an application that were not able to run on a VM... but some venders will not support there software if runnign on a VM.

Well the Mac address is dynamic by deault... so you might have to set a static if the software license is bound to the MAC.

But that also works well we have 4 server running like that ....

The only thing i have see was server that in special cases would not have the expected performance on VM but then we just de-virtualized them using Platespin / PowerConvert.

br

lars

If you find the information helpfull please award points by selecting the Helpfull or Correct button beside the post .

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have never seen an application that were not able to run on a VM... but some venders will not support there software if runnign on a VM.

Well the Mac address is dynamic by deault... so you might have to set a static if the software license is bound to the MAC.

But that also works well we have 4 server running like that ....

The only thing i have see was server that in special cases would not have the expected performance on VM but then we just de-virtualized them using Platespin / PowerConvert.

br

lars

If you find the information helpfull please award points by selecting the Helpfull or Correct button beside the post .

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

the only applications I had problems running on VMs are the ones that right protect themselves using cpu details or use usb keys for licenses...

If it needs a fixed mac addres you are able to give it one.S far as most applications are concerned they are running on a physical box.

pacorabane
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VCB cannot be installed in a vm. It have some applications that it is not recommanded to install in vm because in their setup they use the ESX. For exemples, vRanger of vizioncore is not recommanded to be installed in vm because of his lead functionality is to backup the vm.