VMware Cloud Community
jemwood
Contributor
Contributor

p2v conversion failure - "inaccessible_boot_device" error

Hi, hope you can help me with this problem.

This started as a routine issue - we have a windows 2000sp4 server on old hardware, which I want to convert to a VM. I have esx 3.5 and virtual center 2.5 (both update 3), so used the "converter enterprise " plugin to carry out the task. This ran successfully and the vm server was created ok.

However... the vm instance crashes with a BSOD on bootup, with a STOP 7B - inaccessible_boot_device message. I can mount the vmdk file in other vm's ok, so know the data has been copied over. I have tried the virtual center "reconfigure" option that is supposed to fix this issue - but it still does the same thing.

The old server had a "mylex" scsi raid controller, but this seems to be compatible with p2v conversions. The vmware device drivers have been installed to the \system32\drivers folder, so the reconfigure / converter seems to have done its job.

I look forward to your suggestions!

J

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Did you sysprep the VM? Perhaps try a recovery specifically try recreating the boot loader as it appears to be corrupt. Can you get into safe mode to look for potentail problems?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
jemwood
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply.

To anwer your question - Sysprep was not used in this instance. The new vm was cloned from a physical server created a number of years ago, using the standard conversion app within virtual center.

Something seems to go wrong with the disk array conversion process on this machine. Safe mode / directory restore mode / last known good modes did not work, all came up with the BSOD 7b error. I have got things working eventually, by running a windows 2000 recovery on the imported, faulty vm. This has reinstalled the required files over the originals and the server now boots up.

This reinstall seems to have got things working - our developers are now testing the system to see if all is ok. However, i don't want to have to do this for all our other Windows2000 servers that are on 'unusual' hardware! So, I am still looking for an easier, less invasive fix...

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

What do you mean by 'unusual' hardware? Have you tried disabling all unneccessary services before the conversion process?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos