VMware Cloud Community
royiii
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

p2v VC for D/R?

I have a few disaster recovery questions regarding virtual center.

I have a physical box serving as my VC server in location 1. It manages clusters in location1 and location2. I was hoping that I could p2v my VC machine so that it can be restore from location 1 to location 2 during d/r.

Is this as easy as it sounds?

Does the flexlm license in vmware require a specific mac address, like other Flexlm license managers?

Will it make a difference if the IP address changes when the machine is moved to location 2?

I don't have a big budget to buy other products so I was hoping this might be a simple solution.

Thanks in advance for your input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would have another look at vReplicator - I have used as well as others in the Xtravirt team and certainly with the latest release we have had good results.

You dont need to worry about a static MAC for licensing unless you really want to, it makes no difference to VC licensing.

When the IP address changes you should be ok.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I know you said you dont have a big budget, however, sounds like you might like to look at vReplicator by Vizioncore; that might offer what you are trying to accomplish (although I would run VC as a VM anyway).

If you had one large cluster, split across two locations and VC was a VM you would benefit from HA if the VC VM went down with a host (or entire site failure). Something to think about maybe?

0 Kudos
royiii
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tested vReplicator a couple of years back and was not real happy with the results. Do you have other experiences with the product?

I use vRanger to backup most VM's and then replicate the backed up data to my DR site. My plan is to virtualize the VC server, back it up with vRanger, and then to do a quick restore of the VC server at the DR site.

My concerns are:

Does the VC server require a consistent MAC address for licensing?

Will the VC server work properly when restored/moved to a different subnet? (Of course I will change the IP to match the DR subnet)

0 Kudos
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would have another look at vReplicator - I have used as well as others in the Xtravirt team and certainly with the latest release we have had good results.

You dont need to worry about a static MAC for licensing unless you really want to, it makes no difference to VC licensing.

When the IP address changes you should be ok.

0 Kudos
royiii
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! I will proceed as planned ..... and retest vRepl!

0 Kudos