VMware Cloud Community
Mattvo
Contributor
Contributor

ovf install permissions

Does anyone know the least permissions required to download and install an ovf template/virtual appliance? A client is very strict about who gets what permissions and wants to nail down a permission set to give to someone who is just going to deploy and export ovf templates.

So far all I've been able to figure out is I need to use Datastore>Allocate Space and vApp>Import. This lets me walk through the wizard but then fails right away.

The error I am getting is "Failed to deploy OVF package: Permission to perform this operation was denied." What permissions am I missing?

Thank you for your time and help.

Matt

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Matt,

You can find some information in the vSphere admin guide (page 225 : Required Privileges for Common Tasks).

Don't know if it's enough for you...

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
kalahari2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Matt,

I know the post is a little old, but I found the answer to your problem, because we had the same issue today.

In our case I had to allow Virtual Machine > Configuration > Add New Disk on the Resource Pool. The User wasn`t allowed to import a vApp, although he was granted all Virtual Machine rights on the Folder. But when I allowed him to add a new disk both on the folder and the resource pool it worked.

Best

Stefan

0 Kudos