VMware Cloud Community
MPS_IT
Contributor
Contributor

no healthy upstream - VCenter Server appliance 7

Recently, we shutdown our ESXi hosts to switch some SD cards that were installed. The rebuild was successful and had no issues launching up the hosts and starting up all VMs. I noticed backups were failing so I started investigating. It all lead me to finding out that there is "no healthy upstream". I started to read up on a few communities and landed with the following information: 

VPXD service is not started and after a few attempts I am circling around with no solution. it appears that, in the summary page, status are healthy. If I go to services, most services are healthy while the rest are stopped. One that sticks out is VCenter Service: stopped. Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

This is a complicated issue, if you have support open an SR, there are multiple services that can be causing this in my experiance.  The last time for me it was the STS certificates needed to be regenerated

"Signing certificate is not valid" error in VCSA 6.5.x/6.7.x and vCenter Server 7.0.x (vmware.com)

MPS_IT
Contributor
Contributor

I attempted to open a support ticket, however, it seems like my Vsphere server essentials is not enough to get support. I followed the steps on the link you provided, however the vpxd service is still in a stopped status. 

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert

What do you see in vpxd.log ?

This KB suggests it could be related to vc certificates that need regenerated.

Kelv1n12
Contributor
Contributor

Spot on, thank you ... The fix was to run 

/usr/lib/vmware-vmca/bin/certificate-manager

and select option 4:

Regenerate a new VMCA Root Certificate and replace all certificates

10 minutes later it was back online!

👍 👏

quasimodem
Contributor
Contributor

I have been seeing this a lot (everytime I make a hardware change on my lab esx) and I would just redeploy VCSA over and over again, this seems to have helped, making it easier than a redeploy. 

Thank you.

still a stupid error message to see after adding more drive space to the datastores. 

oh well, thanks again!

0 Kudos
Nima-hfashami
Contributor
Contributor

Hi every one

For this issue you should just Restart VMware vSphere Client Service in WAMI and after that the error gone.

it doesn't need reinstall Vcenter.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

That may or may not work, this error just means that a service isn't started, it could either be a temporary thing or another issue to look into. This is the equivalent to logging into windows and getting stuck at loading user profile, or something similar

0 Kudos
Afrid007
Contributor
Contributor

Go to vcenter server host and set the custom DNS Suffixes ---vsphere.local

0 Kudos
KlickerLab
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean 'VAMI' web interface, right?

0 Kudos