VMware Cloud Community
mgiurgeu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no disk/LUN to be used to increase size of the datastore

I have three ESXi 7.0 hosts connected through FC adapters (through switches) to two dual-controller MSA2050's. I have created only one volume on each SAN spanning all available disks and mapped all HBA's to the respective volume on each SAN using LUN 1 (as recommended in Best Practice doc from HPE). I have also turned on "Illegal Request" under Cache/Missing LUN Response in the Advanced settings (also as per Best Practice doc)

Everything seems to be well, except that I cannot increase the size of the datastores. There is no disk/LUN present when try it. I tried Rescan Storage, Rescan Adapter on all hosts/adapters and the cluster.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the results, the ESXi host only sees two FC volumes, one with 9.1TB, and another one with 1.4TB. Both of them have a datastore created with the full size.
Please verify on the MSA that the presented volume has the expected size (15TB), and not just the pool on which it is located.

André

View solution in original post

9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> except that I cannot increase the size of the datastores.
Can you please explain what exactly you see, and what you are trying to do?

In addition to this, did you present the LUN to the ESXi host's initiator(s) on the MSA?

André

0 Kudos
mgiurgeu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

I am trying to increase the size of a Datastore which I created on the SAN. I right-click on the Datastore and chose "Increase Datastore Capacity". The wizard comes up and at step 1 "Select Device" I see "No Item Found" in the list.

On the MSA, the HBA's are mapped to the volume. I can access the datastore, no problem. It's just when I try to increase the size that things don't work as they should.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What exactly did you do?
Did you increase the size of an existing LUN, which already has a datastore created on it, or did you create a new LUN?
Did you already run a "Rescan" the host's storage adapters?

André

0 Kudos
mgiurgeu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I created the LUN (on MSA called Volume), I allocated the entire available physical space to it (15TB). When I created the Datastore, I did not use the entire space available. Now I want to increase the size of the datastore.

I've already run "Rescan" on all adapters, as well as run "Rescan Storage" (all from vCSA). 

I have the latest firmware on the two SANs. I've upgraded the ESXi hosts and vCSA to the latest version

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @mgiurgeu ,

Please try connecting directly to one of the host's UI instead of vCenter and check if you can increase the datastore capacity.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I assume that you can see the 15TB in the adatper/devices view.
Please run the 5 commands from https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1014953 and post their output to see whether this gives us a hint.

André

0 Kudos
mgiurgeu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I try to increase the datastore capacity directly from the host's UI, I get "No devices with free space"

0 Kudos
mgiurgeu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a_p_

I've attached a zipped txt file with the output from all the commands in the kb article you posted

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the results, the ESXi host only sees two FC volumes, one with 9.1TB, and another one with 1.4TB. Both of them have a datastore created with the full size.
Please verify on the MSA that the presented volume has the expected size (15TB), and not just the pool on which it is located.

André