VMware Cloud Community
01closer
Contributor
Contributor

moving appliance choices

I am using a vcenter server . I also have veaam fast copy and backup. I need to move a very critical production server that also is 750 gigs _very large) from one esxi host to another esxi host. they are on the same lan network. I need advise on the smartist choice. It appears i could use vcenter clone or migrate options. or i could use veaam copy. my question is migration says becuase i am not licenced for vmotion i must opwer the vm off. what is the differance between migrate and clone, also what is my best option. clone and copy do not require power down however i could power down if it makes a better outcome. please advise me on the best option that i have available to me,

clone

migrate

or veaam fast copy

Thank you

mark

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you are not licensed for vMotion, then you have a couple safe choices.  One, which would be my choice, is to power down the guest in question and do a cold migration.  Second, a bit overkill is to use VMware Converter.

0 Kudos
01closer
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou for your input. Please what is the differance between cold migration and cloning

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

a cold migration is moving of a VM from one destintation to another while powered down.  A clone is making a copy of a VM, which powered down or on-line.

0 Kudos