VMware Cloud Community
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

move database to SQL2005 express

Dear all,

I have read here several hints how to move a virtual center database to the full SQL version.

I would like to move my VC database from a SQL2000 server to a SQL2005 express edition.

Why I would like to make my VC server independent of any physical server not relying to a other server.

Thank you

Edy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

NO. That's not a good idea. Why do you want to do that? It's better to keep it on SQL 2000, rather than move to SQL Express.....

Besides, it pretty much requires a DBA to do it, it's not that simple. Lots of things to take into account... the differences in capability is one thing. SQL Express 2005 is NOT supported DB for VC.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

SQL Express is supported for VirtualCenter 2.5 for up to 5 ESX hosts or 50 VMs - http://www.vmware.com/pdf//vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_compat_matrix.pdf (page 5).

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Would you be moving your VC server as well or is it already a VM? And which version of VC are you running?

0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually I want to have my VC 2.5 on the same machine with SQL 2005 express. I do not plan to have more than 5 hosts. :8}. Currently I have 2 hosts.

Thank you

0 Kudos
jpreou
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hijack your question, but I'd also like to know the answer to this one. I have an idea, but would like to know "for sure". We have a physical VC server but with the SQL2000 database server inside ESX. So when we have issues with the virtualization environment that causes the SQL server to go duh, then we lose VC as well. We would also like to keep VC totally separated for this reason (again, very small enviroment; 3 Foundation hosts and 14 VMs).

0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like to follow up my request. Until now I have not changed anything.

Situation: Vcenter Server is installed on a PC (not VM) and database is on a SQL2000 physical box. I have setup SQL2005 on a VM.

I need to retire the box with SQL2000 soon. The question is to where should I move the Vcenter database? I have read here some hints that it's not a good idea to have the database on a VM.

What do you think.^?

Thanks

Edy

0 Kudos