VMware Cloud Community
Balage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

move VirtualCenter to a new server

Hello,

The scenario is as follows:

We have an ESX 3.5 cluster (consisting of 2 physical hosts on a small SAN) managed by a VC 2.5 host (a separate physical server) with SQL2005 Express installed on it. By the time I installed VC, we had neither the final hw, nor the final OS (Win2k3 R2) for it. Now as they both arrived, I'd like to move VC to the new host, I guess it consists roughly of the following steps:

- install SQL2005 Express on the new server

- shut down services on the old host, copy VC and UD SQL databases from the old to the new server, and attach it

- install VC on the new host with keeping the existing db (if its possible) and with the same license file

- start up the new VC

But as there are already live servers on the cluster, I'd like to ask for clarification or detailed steps from someone who did this already .

thank you in advance

Balage

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The quickest and easiest way is to create a fresh install and just add the hosts in and then shutdown the old one, it will not affect any running vms, but you will have to recreate any clusters and permissions etc you have set

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Balage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Or just as another post indicates; install VC on the new host with a new SQL2005, create a new datacenter+cluster, and add the ESX hosts to it?

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The quickest and easiest way is to create a fresh install and just add the hosts in and then shutdown the old one, it will not affect any running vms, but you will have to recreate any clusters and permissions etc you have set

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I presume you could still do it by importing the old database in though rather than starting afresh? If this was a large enterprise, it would take ages to recreate all the clusters, perms etc and I assume resource pools as well.

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes you can, I just said quickest and easiest...

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thought so...just checking :smileygrin:

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
Balage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you both for the help. As indicated, it is a small environment yet, just took over with the new VC as VMKR9 suggested, worked flawlessly.

0 Kudos