VMware Cloud Community
ITJS
Contributor
Contributor

modifying vxpd.conf

in reading about modifying the cpuid mask, according to this excerpt:

VirtualCenter Server 2.x provides two different ways to modify VMotion CPU constraints, depending on the version of ESX Server being used:

* For ESX Server 3.x hosts CPU constraints can be modified:

** On a per-virtual-machine basis through the VMware Infrastructure Client (VI Client) graphical user-interface.

Note:
As of VirtualCenter 2.5.x, modifications to the CPU mask of an
individual virtual machine must be made while the virtual machine is powered off. The ability to edit the CPU mask while powered on has been disabled because of the risk of application or guest operating system instability.

** globally through the VirtualCenter Configuration file (vpxd.cfg ), as long as the host is being managed using VirtualCenter 2.0.1 Patch 2 and above.

* For ESX Server 2.x hosts CPU constraints can only be modified globally by editing the the VirtualCenter configuration file (vpxd.cfg ).

Note: To use global CPU masks VirtualCenter must be version 2.0.1 Patch 2 or later.
</div>

I can modify the vxpd.conf file globally for all images. (my setup meets the criteria above). the only thing i'm unsure of is whether i have to do it with the VMs off, or if i have to reboot them afterwards, or if i can just do it HOT and not worry about it ? I hesitate to try because i don't want to break anything (isn't that always the reason people hesitate to try? 😛 )

clarifications?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ITJS
Contributor
Contributor

nobody ?

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

WOW! First post to the forum and you get ignored.... Well, Welcome to the Forums anyway!

As a safety measure, changing CPU masks should be done with the VM shut down. If you do it to one VM via the GUI, you need to shut down the individual VM. I don't think it is supported anymore in VC 2.5.x. If you are running ESX 3.5u2 or u3, you can use EVC. You didn't metion the exact versions of ESX or VC. You also didn't mention the hardware you are trying to use.

Sometimes it is just a matter of masking the Nx bit in the VM settings.

Dave

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents.

Nathaniel Borenstein

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
capablanca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just an opinion not an answer.

If you modify the mask of a VM through the GUI you have to power down the VM.

If you enable EVC for a cluster you have to power down the VM's.

If it was me I would power down the VM's.

0 Kudos