VMware Cloud Community
ddorbuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

mixed esx 3.5 hosts and new esx 4.1 vsphere hosts with older vcenter. Need advise please.

Hello, I have an existing vcenter server install managing two esx 3.5 hosts. The vcenter is version 2.5.0.x. I would like to manage my new esxi 4.1 vsphere hosts through the vcenter. I would like to verify that if I upgrade my vcenter from 2.5.0 to the latest version vcenter server required for 4.1 I will still be able to manage my older esx 3.5 hosts? Will an inplace upgrade of vcenter 2.5.0.x support keeping the licensing server in place or will I have to manually install this after? Thanks for any info. Doug Dorbuck

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can mange ESX 3.x hosts with vCenter 4.x - you CANNOT manage ESX 4.x hosts with vCenter 2.x

I believe in an place upgrade will keep the license server - if not you will have to reinstall the license server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can mange ESX 3.x hosts with vCenter 4.x - you CANNOT manage ESX 4.x hosts with vCenter 2.x

I believe in an place upgrade will keep the license server - if not you will have to reinstall the license server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ddorbuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

weinstein5, thank you for your response. Much appreciated. Doug

0 Kudos