VMware Cloud Community
13erla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

migrating to new VC/license server

currently my environment has 11 hosts all at esx 302. connected to a vc 202 system.

i plan to build out a new VC at 2.5 to have a fresh new DB and configuration (been having a lot of strange issues with VC; an inherited system)

Would i be able to run 2 license servers (with different dns) that use the same licensing/license file?

If that will work, what impact can i expect removing servers from my current VC.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this is exactly how I rebuilt my enviornment. We had an old 2.02 VC server running SQL Server locally. I brought on-line a new 2.5 enviornment with SQL 2005. The SQL server is running in a clustered enviornment.

I had both VC Servers up at the same time, so I could "copy" all the security, folders, clusters, alarms, etc.

Once I had the new enviornment up and functioning, I just added hosts, thus pulling them out of the old enviornment. No VMs were down during this whole transition.

After all was done, I was left with a old VC server that I just shut down.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this is exactly how I rebuilt my enviornment. We had an old 2.02 VC server running SQL Server locally. I brought on-line a new 2.5 enviornment with SQL 2005. The SQL server is running in a clustered enviornment.

I had both VC Servers up at the same time, so I could "copy" all the security, folders, clusters, alarms, etc.

Once I had the new enviornment up and functioning, I just added hosts, thus pulling them out of the old enviornment. No VMs were down during this whole transition.

After all was done, I was left with a old VC server that I just shut down.

0 Kudos
13erla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

did you need to re-create the license file?

i've removed a host from vc202 server with some running vms. trying to add it to the newly setup 25 server and it get not enough licenses.

0 Kudos