VMware Cloud Community
slavonac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

migrate virtual machine from vcenter 6.7 to 7

Hi

We will migrate virtual machines from vCenter 6.7 to vCenter 7 .03 and I have already created pools folders and all the networks but dVS switches are all version 6.00 and my boss doesnt feel upgrading these switches but just migration.

In vCenter 7 there is a function called import VM and this is what I am about to use and when i do I get following error

the target host does not support the virtual machine's current hardware requirements. The destination virtual switch version or type (VDS 7.0.3) is different than the minimum required version or type (VDS 6.0.0) necessary to migrate VM from source virtual switch.

I found workaround suggested by Vmware 

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/79446

In this article they say if we implement this workaround does that mean we can hot migrate these vms without losing network connection

Switches are old but it is what it is so not sure whether this would be workable solution I am definitely trying to implement it cause new vcenter server has nothing on it

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your duplicate post (not this one) has been reported to the moderators, asking them to remove it - one post on the topic is enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos