VMware Cloud Community
WERFVB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

memory use

There are 6 vm on esxi 5.5 u2. 6 virtual machines total active memory 24 gb . esxi host has 98 gb memory . but esxi memory usage 87 gb. i dont understand why memory is high on esxi server. maybe is there any problem vmware balloon driver is not running or etc. Why is it showing up

i must add memory to Physical machine. ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Some operation systems, what are you talking about

e.g. Windows.

Please take a look at Understanding Memory Management in VMware vSphere 5 for details. Note that Transparent Page Sharing is disable by default as of vSphere 6.0..

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Some operating systems initialize their memory on startup, which usually causes this behavior..

When a guest OS requests a memory block, the host grants it to the guest, but cannot reclaim it again, because it doesn't "know" whether the guest OS is actively using this block.

Once host memory gets low, other features like ballooning come into play, to allow running additional VMs.

André

0 Kudos
WERFVB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Then how can i find the real usage rate. ?

In fact, there is no real 90% usage for the esxi host. The virtual machines have been on for a certain time and the usage rate has remained that way over the ESXi. Right ?

Some operation systems, what are you talking about. You say ,The user is misconfigured in the operating system like linux or ms sql or some application or Working system this is normal problem on vmware

You said ballooning will come into play. How can I know that ballooning driver is working correctly. Ballooning driver works when esxi host is 100%. ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Some operation systems, what are you talking about

e.g. Windows.

Please take a look at Understanding Memory Management in VMware vSphere 5 for details. Note that Transparent Page Sharing is disable by default as of vSphere 6.0..

André

0 Kudos