Expert
Expert

linked mode

can I used linked mode vcenter with vcenters located on different sites

6 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes you can. What is vsphere platform you are using ? Because vSphere 6 has enhanced features for linked mode configuration.

See blog : Back To Basics: vCenter 5.5 with MultiSite SSO and Linked Mode Configuration | Mike Laverick...

And VMware KB:    List of recommended topologies for VMware vSphere 6.0.x

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

this will be an upcoming project with one of our clients.

May I know the enhanced features in vsphere 6 linked mode?

Can I use linked mode for SRM if I can join vcenters from different sites

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

also i have additional questions:

1. does linked mode works like one vcenter will be the master and the other linked vcenters as slave? (much like AD parent-child relationship)

2. if this is a master-slave scenario,what will happen if the master vcenter goes down? or the slave vcenter?

thanks!

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. does linked mode works like one vcenter will be the master and the other linked vcenters as slave? (much like AD parent-child relationship)

2. if this is a master-slave scenario,what will happen if the master vcenter goes down? or the slave vcenter?

Enhanced Linked mode is not following Master-slave scenario, it's a Multi-master replication. Please refer FAQs

Now, let's say your multiple PSCs are deployed behind NLB, and your vCenter server is configured to point to NLB fqdn but not any particular PSC, in that case regardless which PSC node fails, your work will continue, in terms of login into web client and manage your virtual infrastructure.

or if you have taken different deployment scenario where your Site A has a PSC node which having replication with Site B PSC. both the sites have it's independent vCenter nodes configured to talk to it's respective local PSC. and if PSC at site A fails, you got to then repoint vCenter to PSC at Site B in order to recover manageability quickly.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

what is PSC

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

PSC is Platform Services Controller, if you look into architecture of vCenter 6 on following Link, it will make perfect sense what it is.

How to properly architect and deploy vCenter 6.0 - Jonathan McDonald - VMware Blogs

Along with that the same link also is giving you idea about deployment topologies, but for additional reference, you can refer following link too, similar info. by different writer.

vCenter Server 6 Deployment Topologies and High Availability - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified