VMware Cloud Community
jelloguil
Contributor
Contributor

licence server on windows 2008 x64 upgraded vcenter

Hi, I've just upgraded my Vcenter 4.0 to Vcenter 4.1 on a different machine with windows 2008 x64 version. When I try to install the licence server, I get the error 1920 and the service cannot start.

I Know that on other post, they said to download Vcenter 2.5 U6 and install the licence server on the CD but I can't have access to download this CD. I cannot also download VI 3.5 iso, my Vsphere licence cannot permit it. So what can I do.

I also try to desactivated the firewall on the windows 2008 server but the license server cannot start and finish it's installation.

What are my options and keep the old vcenter server just for the licence server service it's not an option.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you shouldn't need a SnS agreement to download a standalone license server. Have you tried the link below?

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx_35_licenseserver_dt/dGViZGVoKmJkZXBo

0 Kudos
jelloguil
Contributor
Contributor

it's already this file I try to install. It's was the same download I use when I installed it on my windows 2003 x86 machine when I had vcenter 4.0

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

....as you said then, leave the old vCenter 2.5 instance online (stop the vCenter Server Service and disable it), and just keep the license server active. For you VI3 Hosts, you'll update the licensing information in your 4.1 instance by going to Administration--vCenter Server Settings and updating the License Server with the appropriate 27000@ address.

0 Kudos
ROE
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, and also tried downloading various versions of both vCenter Server and stand-alone license servers. Running in compatibility mode, replacing files from one version with files from another etc etc etc... nothing worked.

In the end I simply took one of our existing 2003 IIS servers and installed the License server on that. It takes up next-to-nothing in system resources, so it could easily run, while I got our ESXs up to 4.1

Remember the license servier is only necessary as long as you have pre-4.x ESX hosts running.

Just remember to edit the License Server field in you vCenter Server Settings (vSphere Client -> Administration -> vCenter Server Settings -> Licensing) with the name of your license server.

/Robert

0 Kudos