VMware Cloud Community
wayneoakley99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

jave.exe*32 high cpu ???

just noticed that my vc4.1 u1 server is using more cpu than usual, according to perf chart on the vm it started a couple of weeks ago running at 50% all the time, in the last couple of days 100%.

at this time the java.exe*32 process is the consumer

this is a win2003r2 64bit with 2vcpu and 4GB memory, 40GB drive C with 25GB free.

several reboots have been done to no avail, shortly after boot back up to 50%.  tried killing the process, it goes away for 10-15 seconds then comes back at a normal level and after a minute or 2 back up to 50%

at one point last night java.exe*32 was running at 98 and 99% until the server was rebooted.  i think this might have been when the DR appliance was running to backup the VC vm.

event logs are clean, not sure where else might provide a clue.

at a bit of a loss as to what has gone or what action to take other than a re-install of vcenter.

anybody have any ideas?

thanks

wayne

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Groundbeef79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found this today.   http://communities.vmware.com/thread/306584  Looks like update manager may the culprit in my case.  I may try this tonight.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Groundbeef79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue!  In our case, we're running Server 2008 R2 though.  When I kill the process, it immediately reloads.  Do you run Sophos Antivirus?  It seems to spike the CPU as well, so I'm wondering if maybe there's something going on there.

0 Kudos
wayneoakley99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

no av products installed.

was finding it difficult to get anything done, kept timing out, so the vm was bumped to 4vcpu

ran much longer with java acting normally but eventually java jumped to 25%, at least work is getting done.

still have no idea why it is doing this, looks like a re-install will be next.

0 Kudos
Groundbeef79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found this today.   http://communities.vmware.com/thread/306584  Looks like update manager may the culprit in my case.  I may try this tonight.

0 Kudos
wayneoakley99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

that seems to be the answer.

re-installed update manager, rebooted (dropped back to 2vcpu at the same time) and things are normal for the past 4 hours.

makes sense i guess, everything needs to be at the same build.

thanks for catching that post

wayne

0 Kudos
Groundbeef79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It appears as if that was my problem as well.  It seems to be working just now.

0 Kudos