VMware Cloud Community
VMiguel
Contributor
Contributor

java error when trying to access Performance Overiew tab

The advanced performance tab works fine, but the "overview doesn't. this is what i get:

Error message when accessing performance stats:

Performance Tab: http status 500

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet execution threw an exception

root cause

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/6.0.20 logs.

How do I increase this space? Or should I check for something else? This happens on the overview button of every host and vm.

thank you,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I spent quite a bit of time on this issue a few months ago. My VCenter server is also running the full SQL 2008. I won't go into too many details, but I found that the tomcat process that relates to the VMware Management Webservice service can be very memory hungry, depending on the size and configuration of your environment. For me, it was trying to grow its memory footprint but SQL's (default) configuration didn't leave enough free memory. Short term solution was to restart the VMware Management Webservice once a day or so. Longer term solution has been to set a hard limit for SQL's memory a little lower.

You can also tweak the Tomcat memory settings by going to Start > Programs > VMware > VMware Tomcat > Configure Tomcat > Java tab.. Consider growing the maximum memory pool, if you have enough free RAM (which I didn't before reconfiguring SQL).

0 Kudos
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Miguel, if you found my post helpful please consider granting "helpful" or "correct" points using the buttons on this page. Its one of the little carrots we dangle in front of people to keep this community thriving.

Thanks!

0 Kudos