VMware Cloud Community
rasmusan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

issues with Web Client permissions (vsphere 6)

Hi

I have installed vCenter Server 6.0 for a customer today, which completed fine - however  I now have issues getting permissions i vCenter Web Client - even when using the SSO administrator login.

I can manage the environment from the legacy vSphere Client, however when logging into the Web Client i get the "You do not have permission to view this object or this object does not exist". and this even goes for the SSO administrator login. I cannot add global permissions or administer roles.

see screeenshots attached.

anyone had this issue before? and maybe a solution?

25 Replies
BWinchell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

We had a very similar issue after our VCSA had a memory allocation error and crashed.  We rebooted it and the PSC but then lost any connectivity via the web client (thick client worked on some things).

The main issue = PSC lost it's AD connection

The verification:

• VCSA
    • SSh session
    • Drop to the shell
    • run
      • /opt/likewise/bin/domainjoin-cli query
    • The return should say your domain and distinguished name
  • PSC
    • SSh session
    • Drop to the shell
    • run
    • The return should say your domain and distinguished name
      • My case was blank

The fix:

• On either system that does not show you the AD information
    • run
      • /opt/likewise/bin/domainjoin-cli join YOURDOMAINNAME.COM %AD user account%
      • enter password
  • Reboot the PSC and VCSA
  • Once they are back up
    • run
    • You might initially receive a "time skew" error with AD
      • This happens as the service has not fully updated.  Might take a 1-2 minute to fully update
      • You can keep running the above command to verify.  It will eventually update to the correct time
  • Login to the web client and check your permissions

In my case I did lose some of my 3rd party plugins which I had to re-register.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

Thanks

B

0 Kudos
BWinchell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Forgot to mention....

If you have multiple PSC servers in a single SSO domain, perform the AD query on each one to verify they are connected.

Thanks

B

0 Kudos
BWinchell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is also a possibility of the initial cause.

If you restored a PSC via a snapshot or backup.  This can cause replication issues between PSC as the Update Sequence Number (USN) gets out of sync.  There is currently no fix for this (VMware KB: Possible vSphere.local domain inconsistencies after restoring a vCenter Server Single Sig...)

A way to double check: (https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21270...)

If your PSC does not show the replication partner you expect, then the replication is broken.

Thanks

B

0 Kudos
Stormarov
Contributor
Contributor

I think I have an answer for this one, or at least a workaround.

I found it by accident when my machine would not load Adobe Air.

The issue is similar to the one covered by KB article 2125229:Error: "You do not have permissions to view this object or this object does not exist" in vSphere We...;

A search for the solution to that lead me to a German forum on Air installation issues:Installationsproblem mit AIR - never ending story |Adobe Community which had to be Google Translated;

Which lead me to web page for resolving Autodesk Installation issues which contains 4 possible solutions: Install Failure: Error 997. Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. | Search | Autodesk Knowledge N...

The first solution worked for me.  No since you are not installing Autodesk or air there is a slight difference: (The installations replaced the file we are going to edit.)

SOLUTION: (works for Windows 7-10 I believe)

1. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\
  2. For safety purposes backup the folder: S-1-5-18\. For me this means simply COPY the folder in place and name it S-1-5-18_Backup (Please make a backup copy)
  3. Now that you have a backup of S-1-5-18, you can drill down into it.  (You should be in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18\)
  4. Here you will see three .SYS files.
  5. Finally DELETE these files: (They have long names)
    • ccd7457ddbc56b5e247ccc53f164daa0_c114b4a5-568e-4b12-b5b4-f244d2d6577e
    • d42cc0c3858a58db2db37658219e6400_c114b4a5-568e-4b12-b5b4-f244d2d6577e
  6. You should be left with only one file: 4eccd106f69e31c1b12304e5463bb71d_c114b4a5-568e-4b12-b5b4-f244d2d6577e
  7. Now try the vSphere Web Client again.

The Autodesk page refers to a Windows security update KB2918614 that is preventing Overlapped I/O operations.  I suspect the file from June 2016 is to blame, (starts with ccd74...), and you can test this yourself but I only ended up with one file. YMMV

If you are still having issues there are three other solutions to try from the Autodesk page.  One of them is a registry hack for the SecureRepairWhitelist and is more likely to be useful than the VMware KB article's registry hack.

0 Kudos
vinodparab
Contributor
Contributor

Please check the status of all serveries in vcenter appliance by ssh.

service-control --status --all

and if service stop then start all services

Specially check the service-control --status vmware-vapi-endpoint .

0 Kudos
vinodparab
Contributor
Contributor

If problem with vcenter appliance then please follow the below steps

lease check the status of all serveries in vcenter appliance by ssh.

service-control --status --all

and if service stop then start all services

Specially check the service-control --status vmware-vapi-endpoint .

0 Kudos