VMware Cloud Community
ESX-Q
Contributor
Contributor

is there a way to MOVE vm from one folder to another not by dragging?

Hi

is there a way to MOVE vm from one folder to another not by dragging? (Move Entities)

as the dragging not working as expected

TIA

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What happens? You should be qble to drag and drop with no issues if the folders are under the same host/cluster - if they are not VC will initiate a migration event -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ESX-Q
Contributor
Contributor

its just takes too much time to drag/drop as I have a very very long list and each time that I need to drag and drop...it browse ......takes long long time, I wish that there was some right click button to do that instead

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

no nothing in the 'right click' menu -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you want to move multiple vm's to the same folder, then on the left hand side, select your data center. On the right hand side, select the virtual machine tab, and then ctrl-click all the vm's, and then drag all of them together to the new folder.

You can usually also use the migrate function to move vm's from one location to another, although that isn't always as practical either.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
ITWheel
Contributor
Contributor

I have this issue and I can move all but 2 of our 15 VMs between folders with no trouble. When I try to move on of these 2 it just wont drag and drop like the others. I just get the crossed out circle when dragging over the desired folder.

My goal is to configure backups based on folder in Veeam.

Just to be clear, I am not moving data on the datastore, just VMs to subfolders under the datacenter in Home -> Inventory -> VM's and Templates

0 Kudos
herseyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this in PowerCLI

Move-VM -VM VMInventoryName -Destination NameofDestinationFolder

Hope this helps.

Hersey

vExpert 2013/2012 :: VCAP5-DCD/VCAP5-DCA/VCAP4-DCA/VCP5,4/EMCISA :: http://www.vhersey.com/ :: Follow me: http://twitter.com/herseyc
0 Kudos