VMware Cloud Community
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

insufficient ressources to satisfy ha failover

Hi, I want to active HA option.

I own 3 ESX (DELL PE 2900 Bi-Pro Quad core 8G of ram)

I have check the option HA, but now I have the popup "insufficient ressources to satisfy ha failover" while each esx is running less 20% of cpu and average 50% of memory.

I wish just to active 1 server for failover.

Could you help me ?

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
17 Replies
ilatimer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try setting the option on your cluster under HA call Admission Control and set it to Allow virtual machines to be started even if they violate availability constraints.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Which is the Configured Failover Capacity?

masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Where can I find this ?

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Whith that it's working, but what is the real impact ?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

You need to be aware of the resources available within your cluster to ensure adequate spare capacity in the event of a fail over.

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If I have not enough ressources, some vm could no start in case of failure ?

If I reboot VC, hosts will lose connection with VC, is it a problem for HA ?

Message was edited by:

zemotard

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Page 63:

If you have selected the Allow virtual machine to be started even if they violate

availability constraints option when you enable HA, and you later power on more

virtual machines than HA would advise, a message appears and the cluster turns red.

In this case, the current (available) failover level can also fall below the configured

failover level if the number of hosts that have failed exceeds the configured number.

For example, if you have configured the cluster for a one host failure, and two hosts fail,

the cluster turns red.

A red HA cluster still performs virtual machine failover in case of host failure, using

virtual machine priority to determine which virtual machines to power on first. See “Customizing HA for Virtual Machines” on page 107.

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok, but when I choose to not start 2 bigger VM, I have always this message ... That means HA doesn't care this parameter ?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Once HA is configured it does not depend on Virtual Center to function properly.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's only an alert.

HA will work even with VC down.

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If I uncheck all vm in order to no restart them, HA sould be ok ? no ?

0 Kudos
sipsipi
Contributor
Contributor

How many host failures on your HA config are you allowing for?

If you have 3 boxes, and allow for 1 failure, you need enough resources that the other 2 can handle all virtual machines.

Thus, you have too many resources deployed, or not enough boxes.

Time to ask the boss for more ESX Boxes!

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes I'm in this case.

How do HA to deploy vm on each ESX if DRS is not activated ? All vm are restarted on the first ESX ?

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VMs are not deployed.

They are still on SAN.

Ha will remove locks from the old HOST and will start them on another HOST

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok but If I have 2 available hosts, how HA restart VM when DRS is disabled ? On first host ? on Second one ?

0 Kudos
CKloseFUM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok but If I have 2 available hosts, how HA restart VM

when DRS is disabled ? On first host ? on Second one ?

HA starts the VM's on the first available ESX... there is nor order to configure

0 Kudos