VMware Cloud Community
lowemic1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

installing Converter

Ok so in VC server I installed the VM Converter plugin....is this the full app? I'm a little confused...I didn't see any extra options afterward...and I tried downloading the converter installer and contrary to the instructions it did give me any options to connect to my VC server (license server) so that it is the enterprise edition and not the free starter.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's is the full app in that it will give you ALL the capabilities, however you can only import INTO the cluster. You can't export and you can't do stand alone VM's with it.

I just use the stand alone VM converter, so I don't have any issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's is the full app in that it will give you ALL the capabilities, however you can only import INTO the cluster. You can't export and you can't do stand alone VM's with it.

I just use the stand alone VM converter, so I don't have any issues.

0 Kudos
lowemic1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yeah...well I just want to virtualize standalone physical machines with it....problem is supposedly installing the converter plugin in VC server installed the enterprise converter....I don;t know where...I mean I see it on my VC server's C:/programfiles/vmware/etc...etc... but no real shortcuts showed up in the start menu....and clicking on vmware-converter.exe just flashes open a DOS prompt and closes it real quick...there's no real application there.

EDIT So I just decided to create a stand alone license file for the converter, install it, and point it to the license file....I guess installing the converter plugin I just don't get where the new capabilities came in....it seems like half of the battle with any VMware product is the licensing...but it sure runs great after that.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the plugin is enabled you should have the option to right click on the cluster and choose import machine. That will kick of the converter process. Is this what you are asking?

lowemic1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok th anks Troy that is what I was looing for...now I can uninstall this stand alone converter app.

0 Kudos