VMware Cloud Community
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

installation of virtual center for esx 3.0

Hello,

Trying to install virtual center 2.0.2 on vista preminum host as a prerequisite for installing esx 3.0.

I could not install license server on host as the license service was not starting. so installed license server on to a virtual machine inside workstation 6.

The host vista and the license server are not on a windows 2003 domain.

My question :

1) How to point the license server . The default is ( when on same machine). I tried and . it accepted both and went ahead and completed the installation of virtual center server, BUT the VMware in the program group does not have virtual center console.( attached screen shot)

2) Can we install all 3 prereqisites on to another VM inside the vmware workststaion 6.0 ( that might work as all these vms are windows 2003)

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Raj,

i don't mind to have a look at your setup.. i am also curious why this is not working on your side

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Raj07,

Installing all the prerequisites on a virtual windows server 2003 using VMware Workstation works fine.. i did a lot of testing @ home with this setup.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your post has been moved to the VirtualCenter forum.

Have you considered installing VirtualCenter (and the license service) in a VM on ESX?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

After the license server has been installed. When you install virtual center, it will ask you where your license server is located, and you can give the IP/Port at that time.

Also, I run my virtual center and licensing service on a vm on my ESX hosts. Workstation is an interactive user-side application. I would recommend at least running inside of a vmware server vm, if you prefer not to host vc and/or licensing service on esx. As stated, I use a vm on ESX for virtual center and licensing service, and I've not had any issues so far.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installed ESx server in a VM as per the Xtravirt doc. I was able to install license server, VI client and virtual center on another win2k3 VM. Now i can connect to the virtual center from infrastructure client. But i cannot connect to the esx server by any means. ( either in web interface by typing ( esxserver ip)or by the VI client. I tried creating another user in esx server thinking remote login of root may be disabled.

I dont get any descriptive error message . It says " Failed to connect" both when i use web interface and vi client.

I dont know whether this is a license issue as the Virtual center license is given by the license server running on same machine. The Esx server license, i believe is to be pointed after getting connected to it by any means.

I followed the xtravirt document and have open all incomin and outgoing ports. Moreover the esx server is pretty slow inspite of allocating 512 mb for it during install. It takes more than 20 min to be up.

Any insight into where to look and what to try is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Raj

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi raj07,

is your esx server in the same ip-range/vlan then your virtual center server ?

and are you sure you configured your tcp/ip settings properly on the ESX host ?

can you ping the ESX host from your virtual center server ?

p.s. if you think answers of users on the forum are correct or usefull please award them with points.

0 Kudos
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dmaster,

Sorry , i was waiting for some solution.

To your question, i can ping each other ( license srvr/virtual center/vi client) and esx server both using ip and hostname . virtual center server is not joined to active directory. uses host files.

More info : Vmware esx server version 3.0.2 build 52542, VI client and Vi server -->2.0.2 build 50618

Vmware

Thanks

Raj

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Raj,

you make it yourselve extra difficult.

normally you install a virtual center server on a windows domain with a proper working dns infrastructure...

you can easily manage this by creating a virtual domain controller . after this you can login to virtual center with the VI client using an active directory user account..

when you make this active directory user account a member of the local administrator group of the virtual center server.. you have full rights in virtual center and are able to login.

but the strange part is that you can't even connect to the esx server itselve..

so did i understand it correctly..

you can ping the esx server ip-adress but you can not connect to that ip-address with the vi-client.. using user root to login ..

0 Kudos
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But at least i should be able to connect to the Esx server by typing http://192.168.0.9<http://192.168.0.9/>; which is its ip address even if i dont have a virtual center installed Rt?

Thanks

Raj

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Raj..

so can you connect with the VI client to your ESX host ? using the root account ?

This must be possible without, virtual center , license server , domain controller , dns etc etc.

see screenshot.. so does that work ?

0 Kudos
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No .I cannot connect to the esx server by what ever means.

Also if i open a web browser in another vm and type in http://192.168.0.9<http://192.168.0.9/>; it does not connect. ( tcp/ip connectivity is fine). Also i checked and found the vmware webaccess service to be started. It just says " connection failed" -- no descriptive error. once it said "connection timed out" But all other times it tries for about 15-20 seconds and then says " connection failed".

PS: But if i put in 192.168.0.7<http://192.168.0.7> in the vi client and log on using administrator as the user , i can connect to virtual center . From there if i try to add the ESX host again it will not connect .

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

i don't see a password filled in when you try connecting with the vi client ?

does this mean you used a blank password for the root account ? i can imagine that that can cause a problem.

if it's blank please try to change it. and try again.

0 Kudos
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No . The passwd was obviously there .

0 Kudos
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi dmaster,

Thanks for all your support. If you could remotely connect to my pc and check, ( have GoToMyPC) pls reply back.

Raj

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Raj,

i don't mind to have a look at your setup.. i am also curious why this is not working on your side

0 Kudos
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dmaster,

Many thanks for your reply.

how would you want to send invitation to you to access my pc ? should i put it in the common forum , or will you give me your email

Thanks again, Raj

0 Kudos