VMware Cloud Community
BonnoB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

import link no longer available

Like I wrote in http://communities.vmware.com/thread/289643 I was able te resolve a previous issue but removing a VM from the database and then importing it once more.

I had a similar problem today so I wanted to try this option first. Removing the VM from the inventory was no problem but importing it.....:-(

When I go to the datastore several VMware files are just displayed as type "file" including the vmx file. When I rightclick on the vmx file there is no import option. 😞

I have done some upgrade on the vCenter system but it is still vSphere Client 4.1.0 (build 258902). In the plug-in manager I can see the vCenter converter 4.2.0. as enabled. I also have the vCenter Converter Standalone 4.3.0 on that machine so if that is a quick solution.... But how?

Anybody know what I need to look at?

Bonno

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To make sure it's not a vCenter Server issue, please log in to an ESX(i) host and open the datastore browser there. Do you get the "Add to Inventory" item when you right click the vmx file.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To make sure it's not a vCenter Server issue, please log in to an ESX(i) host and open the datastore browser there. Do you get the "Add to Inventory" item when you right click the vmx file.

André

0 Kudos
BonnoB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, loggin in directly onto an ESXi server dit indeed show the import option. I was able to import the VM that way.

Afterwards it was visible in the vSphere environment as well.

Any idea what can be wrong, what we need to look into?

A while ago the database was changed from the default MSSQL Express database to the standard MSSQL version. The express version was installed at first was never the inteded database. At a later moment, an "upgrade" was done to the standard database. It seems that did not go as smoothly as it was supoosed to have been. 😞

Bonno

0 Kudos