Expert

how to upgrade vc

how do I upgrade from 2.1 vc to 2.5 u1?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I've done it last week its very straight process.

1. Download VC 2.5 Update 1

2. Backup your current database

3. Run the .exe installation and follow the screen

4. Make sure to choose keep performance data and event/tasks as well otherwise you will lose them all

5. Select Update Manager if you want it for ESX/guests patch management. Requires new database created for it. Then create OBDC connections with SQL Native Client if running SQL 2005.

6. Just go through the steps and its fine and then download new version of VI client and connect to VC server.

FYI: VC 2.5 Update 1 can run both ESX 3.0.x and ESX 3.5 as well. It is recommended to upgrade all ESX hosts to 3.5 Update 1 as much as possible to maximize performance and VMware tools usage.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

....also, don't forget DB permissions

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003052

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

Afer installing vc 2.5u1, vc service fails to start. any idea?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you are using the SQL native driver for ODBC, and it tested successfully?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

would the failure of vc service starting be caused by that? what ele could be the cause of this?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, that could cause it... if you can't see your DB server, than the service won't start. Did you confirm you ODBC connections using the SQL Native Driver?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

how do I check this?

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Within ODBC, select System DSN tab. There you should see your System Datasource for Virtual Center (what you would have created before installing Virtual Center). Next to the DSN it displays the driver used - this is where it should be saying SQL Native Client - if it doesn't, you need to change it. If you don't have it available as an option to select, download and install it. Then make sure you change your DSN (you might need to re-create it), so it's using the correct driver.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

i checked and it is using native sql drivers. any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you checked with your DBA to ensure that there is plenty of disk space allocated to your DB? I had an issue where we maxed out disk space with our logs, and our VCMS service wouldn't start.

Check event viewer as well, it may help you narrow down the problem

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

Event logs didn ot give much errors. We tried uninstalling vc and reinstalling. same issue. the database is actually on a different server.

not sure what else to try at this point

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

so when you tested your ODBC connection it "tested successfully" using the SQL Native Driver? Other than what we have gone over, I am stumpted too.

Maybe you should open an SR with VMware and have them take a look at it.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Windows event logs will not help.

Look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

is there a different exe for upgrading vc and for new install of vc 2.5?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The install file is the same. If you don't see errors in the logs, then you remote desktop or console into your vc server. Open a dos prompt, and cd into your vc install location. Run 'vpxd -s' for standalone mode. This will write to the dos window all errors that are encountered during startup. You could have an issue with your db user id password. The output should tell you. If you do, you can run 'vpxd -p' and input the password as requried. You should be able to start the service after that. If not, post the output.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos