VMware Cloud Community
nicolas_sirieix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to send snmp traps from Virtual Center Server to a HPOV NNM server

Hello,

I'm trying to configure VirtualCenter Cleint (2.0) to send SNMP trap to an HPOV NNM Management Server.

In the events tab, i can see the following messages : "Alarm Virtual Machine CPU Usage on entity Server1 send SNMP trap" but no trap is received on my NNM Mgmt Server. The VirtualCenter server is an windows 2003 server : I've configured the SNMP service correctly with correct SNMP community and trap destination...

Can you help me please ? Receive VirtualCenter alarms in NNM is very important for us !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

No worries. Happy to help!

In VI go to the Administration Menu and select VirtualCenter Management Configuration. Navigate to and and then edit the snmp details.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

Did you configure VI with the appropriate settings for sending snmp traps to your managment server? I have this working with HP SIM so I can confirm if all is configured well it will work.

Have you added and compiled the MIB into your management server?

nicolas_sirieix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My VI Configuration :

\- Receiver URL : IP adress of my management Server / port : 162

\- Community String : public

I've installed the MIB in NNM but i did not receive any event from the VI server node... Did you install HP SIM on all your ESX server ? any problem ? Do you have an instruction or a procedure to install HP SIM working witch ESX, Virtual Infracsturucture Client and NNM ?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

Yes, I installed all the HP management agents on my ESX servers. You can get more info here: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26407.html

To do VI snmp you don't need the hp management agents so there is still the problem of why your traps aren't getting to your management station.

Can you ping the management station?

Is your management station configured to accept traps from the VI host?

nicolas_sirieix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answers.

Yes, ping and traps configuration OK. The VI host is a managed node, i can get snmp information from my management station. NNM works fine with all other snmp managed node...

How did you configure snmp service on your VI host ? I've configured the snmp services to send trap to my mangement station with the same community (public) configured in SNMP settings on virtual infractructure host...

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

No worries. Happy to help!

In VI go to the Administration Menu and select VirtualCenter Management Configuration. Navigate to and and then edit the snmp details.

0 Kudos
nicolas_sirieix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No trap is sent from the Virtual Infrastrucure node (i've check that on the NNM Managed station : events in VI send traps but no trap sent by the VI host).

I think this is a configuration problem on the VI Host (snmp service, snmp settings in VI client console...).

0 Kudos
nicolas_sirieix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My VI SNMP settings :

\- Receiver URL : IP adress of my management Server

\- Port : 162

\- Community String : public

Where can I edit details ?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

If those are your setting for snmp, as set in the VI client, and they are correct then my guess is that your management server is setup to only accept traps from certain machines? or a different Community String?

Here are a couple of docs:

this one is more for your snmp issue with VC: http://pubs.vmware.com/vi301/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm - just do a search on snmp

This one is general snmp for HP hardware to sent traps to your management server: http://h71019.www7.hp.com/ActiveAnswers/downloads/Integrate_VMwareESX_HPSIM_OpenView.pdf

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When installing HP's agents, it opens the firewall for snmp requests, and allows outgoing traps. Maybe something didn't get set properly during installation.

Run "esxcfg-firewall -q"

Verify that snmpd is an allowed service. You can also check the snmpd entry in /etc/vmware/firewall/services.xml, and make sure port 162 outbound is included there.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

HP Agents are unrelated to the operation of VC and the sending of snmp traps from it.

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

My bad... I forgot this was VC-specific.

For some reason I was thinking host.

D'oh!

Message was edited by:

hicksj

Now I see where the confusion started! There are several references above mentioning "VI host" by the thread originator. Does VI host mean VC here?[/b]

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

BTW, you're closer to Buffalo than Ottawa (or Detroit for that matter)... who ya rootin' for?

Go Sabres! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ottawa, it should be a good one either way though! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If the Sabres don't shape up, it'll be over real quick. They can't expect to keep handing the Spezza line the puck over and over again in their own zone and not get burned. That was an ugly game (especially on the PP. Can't they just decline the Ottawa penalties?! Smiley Happy ).

0 Kudos
nicolas_sirieix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I find the problem.

MIB were not very well installed on my SNMP Manager...

I'm a little bit disappointed because only few traps definitions in NNM event configuration (No FORMAT DEFINED, etc...) : only 1 event vpxdTrap...

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos