VMware Cloud Community
sahmed24
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how does resources in Cluster work without DRS?

Hi

i have vmware vSphere Essentials license. this license type doesnt have DRS. I have created a cluster, and have two ESX 4.0 hosts in it. I have VMs in both. Since i dont have DRS, therefore i can not create Resource Pools. i get a flat structure of the virtual machines inside the cluster. What i am wondering is that how does the resource utilization work inside the cluster. Does the Cluster combine the memory, computational resources of CPUs and Memory's in both hosts, for running virtual machines. Or (without DRS) the cluster is acting like a 'container' with no functionality?

thanks

//Rizwan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

YES, Its right

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Resources can not be shared accross hosts.

Each host manages its own resources and divides these maongst the VMs by al lmeans possible (CPU scheduling, balloon drivers etc)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Without DRS you can't get advantage of load balacing.

And this is HA cluter not HPC cluter. You will get only failover featuers. You can see combine resource but they behavie individual on ESX host.

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
sahmed24
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this means that, if there are two host in the cluster HostA and HostB. If hostA is running two VMs and hostB is running 10. even if the hostB is running out of resources, the cluster wont be able to make use of resources of HostA? it will be like as the VMs are running on two individual hosts

Is this right?

0 Kudos
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

YES, Its right

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

DRS is just the distribuited resource manager... without it you cannot handle different host load.

You can only use individual VM resource manager, but this will work only on at host level.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos