VMware Cloud Community
kevinc628
Contributor
Contributor

hosts can't connect to VCenter

Hi

I have 5 hosts, 3 hosts and the VCenter are in the same subnet and they are connected to VCenter. 2 of the hosts can't connect to the VCenter are on different subnet. It was working yesterday. Nothing was changed on the network. I already restart the Management Agents but still can't connect to the VCenter.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

are you able to ping the hosts from vCenter Server and vice versa?

André

0 Kudos
kevinc628
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, forgot to mention. I am able to connect to the hosts via vSphere Client from any computers except from the vcenter. I am able to ping both way from vcenter.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

So if I understand you correctly, you are able to ping the ESXi hosts from vCenter Server, but you cannot connect to then using the vSphere Client on the vCenter Server!?

Are you able to connect to the ESXi hosts' web pages, i.e. opening a web browser on the vCenter Server and entering the hosts' IP addresses?

André

0 Kudos
kevinc628
Contributor
Contributor

I am not able to connect to the hosts through web.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Is there a firewall in place between the two subnets?

What you may try is to use e.g. a laptop and plug it in to the vCenter Server's subnet. Then try to connect to the ESXi hosts.

André

0 Kudos
kevinc628
Contributor
Contributor

Andre,

There are firewalls between these 2 subnets. On my computer which is on the same subnet as VCenter, connects to the hosts with no problem. Here is more strange thing, I was testing if I change the IP address on the VCenter, it's able to connect to the hosts again. If I change it back to the original IP with all the correct DNS, WINS, GATEWAY and SUBNET MASK, it stops working again.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since you can ping the hosts from vCenter Server, the routing seems to be ok. To me it looks like some ports are blocked on the firewall for the vCenter Serrver's IP address!?

André

0 Kudos
kevinc628
Contributor
Contributor

All the firewall setting are disabled.

0 Kudos