VMware Cloud Community
mtsmbr
Contributor
Contributor

help with vcenter and oracle please

hi there...i am just starting a new installation...i created the database according to the manual , everything ok , now i downloaded the oracle 10g client 64-bit version and patched it to 10.2.0.4 (as the manual says) , all right , the manual says you need to create a 32-bit DSN (really a 64-bit dsn the vcenter wont find it ) , okay , but when i execute the 32-bit odbc manager windows wont show the oracle client 10.2.0.4 odbc drivers.. , only the 64-bit odbc manager will show it , the question is , do i need to install the 32-bit oracle 10g client so i can make it work ? the manual doesnt mention that.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

do i need to install the 32-bit oracle 10g client so i can make it work ? the manual doesnt mention that.

Yes you do. It is referenced in kb 1010401.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mtsmbr
Contributor
Contributor

helo , thanks for the answer , i´ve read that kb before , it doesnt say to install the 32-bit client , only a 32-bit dsn!! my question is , to install a 32-bit dsn do i need to install the 32-bit client??? that doesnt make sense because seems that the driver being used by the 64-bit odbc manager is a 32-bit one (SQORA32.DLL) but vcenter wont see it because it was created using the 64-bit odbc manager.

so , let me reformulate my question , do i need to install a 32-bit oracle client instead of a 64-bit to create a 32-bit dsn???

thats so weird.... because the 32-bit odbc drivers seems to be included with the 64-bit oracle client.

0 Kudos
iamsiju
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Oracle 64 bit Client does not install 32 bit ODBC drivers ( but SQL Server and DB2 does that). For creating 32 bit dsn , you need to invoke 32 bit ODBC manager , which wil show only 32 bit drivers. For installing 32 bit odbc drviers, install 32 bit instant client.

*if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers*

**if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers**
0 Kudos