VMware Cloud Community
CiscoGuy
Contributor
Contributor

hardware status tab error

Using RTM ESX 4, vCenter 4 - when i click on the hardware status tab, I get an error stating 'do not have permission for this command'.

I am logged in with Administrator access.

This is a new install of ESX and vCenter.

Thanks

0 Kudos
28 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Go in plugin and verify the are loaded correctly.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using RTM ESX 4, vCenter 4 - when i click on the hardware status tab, I get an error stating 'do not have permission for this command'.

I am logged in with Administrator access.

This is a new install of ESX and vCenter.

Thanks

CiscoGuy - I am having the exact same issue. However, I think I know when the problem began on my vCenter Server: it was after I upgraded the virtual hardware from v4 to v7 and upgraded the virtual network adapter from a VMXNET 2 to a VMXNET 3 adapter. After rebooting I had these errors. I used the same static IP address and I did NOT change the name of the server.

I am not sure what to do short of uninstalling vCenter and reinstalling. Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, in the Application Event Log on the vCenter server these three errors are logged from the VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices:

VWS Error starting feed service. See log files.

VWS Error starting authorization manager. See log files.

VWS Error starting query service. Database initialization failed.

This sure looks like an issue with the tomcat web server to me!

Message was edited by: tWiZzLeR

0 Kudos
ChrisGurley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure if this is the same issue or not, but I also have a problem with the Hardware Status tab after upgrading my vCenter server's virtual hardware. When I click on the Hardware Status tab of any ESX host in either of my two clusters (I have separate vCenter servers over each but in a Linked Mode Group), it reports "Error occurred while trying to update the host data". Then when I click "Update" or any of the other options, I get a pop-up that says, "An error occurred, please try again in another vSphere session." I have rebooted the vCenter server and closed/reopened the vSphere Client (and tried on other computers).

Any ideas? I have two hosts with warning statuses because they had recharging RAID batteries when they booted up, but because I can't refresh the host data, they are stuck at Warning.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
ChrisGurley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Figured it out. The problem isn't the upgrading of hardware, but rather that we also deployed Internet Explorer 8 to that server at the same time. IE 8's Enhanced Security Configuration causes the Hardware Status tab to not display because it actually pulls a web page from the vCenter server. To fix this, you need to disable (turn off) IE ESC in Server Manager > Security Summary (on the top-level "home" screen) > Configure IE ESC. Turn it off at least for Administrators (and probably Users). Then close and reopen any vSphere Client sessions that you have open. After that it worked for me.

Update: It isn't just IE 8; our other vCenter server with IE 7 had the same issue until IE ESC was disabled. Additionally, there is a lingering issue that isn't resolved by disabling IE ESC. When connecting to a Linked Mode Group, the Hardware Status tab still only works on ESX hosts controlled by the vCenter server to which you connect at the login prompt of the vSphere Client. Additional vCenter servers and their ESX hosts in the LMG apparently have their Hardware Status tabs proxied and encounter problems doing so. Thus, as it stands, I still cannot view the Hardware Status tabs on ESX hosts of secondary vCenter LMG members.

Ideas??

Message was edited by: ChrisGurley

0 Kudos
Kirizan
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having the same error as discribed here, but when I went to disable IE ESC, I found it's not installed. Does anyone have any other ideas?

0 Kudos
topheruk
Contributor
Contributor

I have got this problem now!, anyone got a fix for it....

0 Kudos
McClane80
Contributor
Contributor

In my case I stopped the "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices" service and deleted the database under C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\webapps\vws\data\VcCache-default-0.XhiveDatabase. Then restarted the service. That worked for me.

0 Kudos
ICT-Freak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is also the solution in my case. Thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my case I stopped the "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices" service and deleted the database under C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\webapps\vws\data\VcCache-default-0.XhiveDatabase. Then restarted the service. That worked for me.

Nope, in my case this didn't work. I also noticed that when I restarted the "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices" service that a new .XhiveDatabase was not re-created either.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Is it very difficult to uninstall/reinstall these webservices without affecting other parts of vCenter? Is there anything that I should watch out for?

0 Kudos
wkraai
Contributor
Contributor

I've found out that we are also experiencing this problem. But the provided solution sadly did not work.

Anyone else got an other solution?

0 Kudos
wkraai
Contributor
Contributor

Found some logging made by the Tomcat server.

21-sep-2009 8:18:08 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

SEVERE: Malformed moduleBaseURL:

java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:

at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:567)

at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:464)

at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:413)

at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.doGetSerializationPolicy(RemoteServiceServlet.java:196)

at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.getSerializationPolicy(RemoteServiceServlet.java:116)

at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.impl.ServerSerializationStreamReader.prepareToRead(ServerSerializationStreamReader.java:303)

at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.decodeRequest(RPC.java:234)

at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processCall(RemoteServiceServlet.java:162)

at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.doPost(RemoteServiceServlet.java:85)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:263)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:584)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

INFO: ERROR: The module path requested, null, is not in the same web application as this servlet, /vws. Your module may not be properly configured or your client and server code maybe out of date.

INFO: WARNING: Failed to get the SerializationPolicy 'FC7E86DEAEFD2AFEA8F62B491DE5C027' for module ''; a legacy, 1.3.3 compatible, serialization policy will be used. You may experience SerializationExceptions as a result.

the log is found in the following location \vmware\infrastructure\tomcat\logs

Anyone got a clue how to fix this?

0 Kudos
awit
Contributor
Contributor

I solved this error by putting an (ipv4) entry in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file for this server.

This forced the vSphere client to use the IPv4 address instead of the (default) IPv6 address on our Windows Server 2008.

0 Kudos
wkraai
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reaction. But sadly i allready had an host file pointing to the ip4 adress of the virtual center server. (as best practice fordns failure)

So i'm hoping someone else can provide me with some more possible solutions

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In case anyone else has this problem and non of the above solutions/work arounds work for you... I ended up completely uninstalling vCenter Server and all of the add-on features for vCenter (download manager, converter,etc.). I also uninstalled Java (this was installed from when I was running VC 2.5 U4 for the webservices before the upgrade to vCenter 4) and then rebooted.

After reinstalling vCenter Server and reconnecting it to the local SQL 2005 Express database everything worked fine and I did not lose my HA/DRS cluster configuration. In fact, everthing worked correctly including the Hardware Status tab, Performance tab and even the Health Service. Although this was a time consuming process it was not overly complicated.

Also, another interesting thing that I have noticed is that my Windows 2003 server that host vCenter Server also runs faster since I did the reinstall. My vCenter Server 4 instance was an upgrade from 2.5 U4 which had those funky settings and Java SDK which were required for the "new" webservices features at the time. I believe that my vCenter Server now performs more similar to how a fresh install would perform.

BTW, I'm running vCenter in a VM on Windows Server 2003 using a local SQL 2005 Express database (only 3 ESX hosts and <30 VMs), 2 vCPU and 3 GB of RAM and it runs just fine and now I can take advantage of HA to ensure higher availability for my vCenter server. For SMBs I highly recommend this setup!

0 Kudos
sdog
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem from my desktop VCClient and I beleive it may be because I have IE8 installed. When I login to VC client from the VC Server, that has IE7, I dont get the "Error occurred while trying to update the host data" error.

Regards,

SD

0 Kudos
sdog
Contributor
Contributor

SCRATCH THAT - I logged back into VC Client from my desktop and now the hardware status tab is working properly. Weird.

SD

0 Kudos
sgtserge
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue. Moving VcCache-default-0.XhiveDatabase.DB and restarting the vmware management webservices hasn't solved.

Resolved installing vcenter server 4 patch 1. you can find it here:

Follow the tech note associated for upgrading.

Hope it helps.

Sergio

0 Kudos
y_wisdom
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks McClane80 ,

That worked for me.

0 Kudos