VMware Cloud Community
uxmax1976
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

forward vcenter logs to central syslog server (not the vcenter one)

Hello,

is there a way to forward all vcenter related logs to an external syslog server? all my esxi host are already logging to that syslog server.

thanks uxmax 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The title of your thread contradicts what you're trying to accomplish. There isn't a default way to forward the actual vCenter Server logs to external syslog server without writing some logic/scripts to basically scrap the logs and forward them off. If you're using the new vCenter Linux Appliance (vSphere 5), you can do such but not on a Windows system, at least out of the box that is supported. You may need to purchase a 3rd party application for Windows to see if it can extract the application logs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you're running ESXi 4.x, there is a bug in which the vpxa logs on the ESXi host isn't being captured, take a look here for the resolution - http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2010/06/esxi-syslog-caveat.html

If you're running ESXi 5, this issue has been fixed and if you forward your logs to a remote syslog, all the logs will be captured.

0 Kudos
uxmax1976
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hello,

iam _not_talking about ESXi (i configured all ESXi Hosts properly). as iam posted above i need to forward all vcenter 5 logs to an external syslog server.

thx for your reply

cya uxmax

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The title of your thread contradicts what you're trying to accomplish. There isn't a default way to forward the actual vCenter Server logs to external syslog server without writing some logic/scripts to basically scrap the logs and forward them off. If you're using the new vCenter Linux Appliance (vSphere 5), you can do such but not on a Windows system, at least out of the box that is supported. You may need to purchase a 3rd party application for Windows to see if it can extract the application logs.

0 Kudos
uxmax1976
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

aha which part of "forwarding vcenter logs to external syslog server" contradict here?

[quote]

There isn't a default way to forward the actual vCenter Server logs to external syslog server without writing some logic/scripts to basically scrap the logs and forward them off.

[/quote]

thank you, i was looking for exactly that info.

0 Kudos
hennish
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So vCenter Server on Windows is not and will never be PCI DSS compliant? I'm currently looking into how to get compliant in that particular area.

0 Kudos